Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Wordless Wednesday........NOT HARDLY!!!!

OK I find it very hard to be wordless. Wordless just does not work for me. I am not a big "talker"..but I always have an opinion and something to say about any given subject that I know just a little about...Sometimes that is a quality that I am not so proud of. But I am a work in progress....

Speaking of a subject that I know just a little about how about. Lets talk food preservation!!! Yeah!!! Can't wait can you? Well I won't keep you waiting. My life has been consumed. I have been spending lots of time in my kitchen. I have dirtied up every apron I own. I have applied burn jell to various places of my body. I have mopped up sticky off the floor more times then I would like. I sent DH on a mission for a new water bath canner, jar lids, rings and quart mouth jars. I am sure he impressed all the men at the local hardware store.... I own stock in ziplock bags. I am sure that I have single handily went through nearly a load of propane...my stove just cools off occasionally. We may have to burn the furniture to get through the winter....but that is OK. We will not go hungry. We will dine on green chili's and apples. Green chilies....Apples......I see them in my dreams.




Oh Baby smell the love..fresh roasted!



Peeled and ready.

Ready for what you may ask. Do you want to make a meal that will cause your husband to rise up and call you blessed in the door of the local feed store? Well this will do it. If he is a Chili Relleno fan. And if he isn't and he is more into tofu and bean sprouts..well I have no advice for you other then..bless your heart.



Peel your chili, make a small slit in the chili and poke thin slivers of cheese into the split chili. Bring to a sort of close, as best you can. Then dredge...is that the proper term? Heck..roll the chili in flour that you have salted and peppered. Then dip and roll around in the beaten egg that I have not told you to beat..but beat some eggs how many depends on how many chili's you are making. Then heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet..and as I have said time and time again if you don't have one then shame on you. Place the drippy messy chili in the oil and let get good and brown on both sides. Place on paper towels to drain off the grease and serve with a fried egg on top if desired. That is the way we like them anyway. And fresh homemade tortillas.






No my tortillas are not round...do not judge.






Tomorrow, or maybe the next day, or the next. Or could be next week, I will reveal the secrets of successful apple preservation, or at least I hope it is successful...I am not done with it all yet.

God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife aka 'the apple queen'

11 comments:

NaomiG said...

I want to eat at your house... PLEASE?! My husband LOVES Chile Rellenos. I haven't made them yet, but I'm thinking about it. I will soon, I believe. And cast iron is one of my favorite things. :-) We currently own 6 different cast iron pots, and I'm searching constantly for #7.

Ranch wife said...

NaomiG, I would love to have you eat at my house, really I would. My husband loves them, adores them, has been know to eat the leftovers for breakfast.

Cast Iron...the cookware of queens. I really want one of those handy dandy dutch ovens covered in enamel. My mom has one and it cooks like a dream. And they come in such cool colors!

~M~

Shelby said...

holy cow! that's too funny. We just got some chilis from NM that we roasted and made rillanos with. Except they didn't turn out that well, but at least they tasted good. Shoot, they need to make a candle that smells like chilis roasting

BridgeEtta said...

This is a whole new world for me. You shuck the roasted skin off to peel them? (how long to roast them?) Does it matter what kind of cheese? For someone in the great white North who has never eaten this, well, I need just a bit more info.

Joshua said...

I just started craving rellenos two days ago... day thirteen in Sudan. Pretty bad, eh? Green chile, mint chip ice cream, a good juicy cheeseburger, a breve latte, I miss them all. Okay, moping over,

I must tell you (since I also love cast iron) that your husband washed your skillet with SOAP when I was over there a month ago. Due discipline must be commenced.

Joshua

Ranch Wife said...

I'm thinkin you need to crawl out from under those chilies and apples and come play at the quilt show this weekend!

*Laura said...

Rise up and call you blessed in the door to the local feed store??? Wow... That was a great line. It made me smile really big. You are clever.

I'm very grateful for the recipe... and your whit. (Now, if only I could learn to cook...) You ranch wives are such good wives. You are blessed, and inspire me to not give up. To keep trying. To be the city-fied wife my husband can call blessed in the door to the local Harley shop...

Anonymous said...

Joshua: You traitor. I didn't know you were a tattle-tale :) Just kidding! I learned at an early age not to clean cast iron with soap. Love your relleno recipe RanchWife! I need to make some soon...

Ranch wife said...

Welcome Laura! Glad you stopped by. Thank you for your sweet words. I don't know about "clever"...maybe just "weird". Ha

~M~

Anna said...

YUMMY!! I just roasted to chiles on my grill the other weekend for the first time...froze them and hope they turn out...someday I will be brave enough to attempt this recipe...

Gumbo Lily said...

My mouth is watering! O Man!

Jody