Tuesday, December 13, 2016

A Trip to the Opera





                                
                                     
  Over the years, I have sat through many kinds of events. Mainly man related events. I have sat through so many Ranch rodeos that there is no way I could count them. I have sat through the WRCA up in Amarillo with a child laying across my lap running a fever. And the other three little darlings either mad, sad, hungry thirsty, or needing the bathroom. Now! I have had kids that were well when we left home. After being exposed to people and germs and bad food throw up in the back seat on the way home. I have potty trained small children while sitting at these events. The question “Do you need to go potty,” being meet with a “no”, all the while a puddle forms around their feet.  The dry clothes are in a pickup on the back side of a parking lot. Which may or may not be muddy So I find myself navigating through mud and horse manure while pushing a stroller with one hand and dragging the wet, now wailing child with the other.
    Now there are grandchildren. I love my grandchildren I do. I love them enough to take them to a monster truck rally in Lubbock. I do not like monster truck rally’s. I do not like taking small children to monster truck rally’s. It will not happen again. It was an event so traumatic that I will not speak of it.Recently my Cowboy wanted to go to a leather/ boot and saddle making expo in Wichita Falls. We had two of the grands. He promised we would not stay long and he would be ever so helpful. With much trepidation, I agreed. The first 10 minutes were awesome. They were in their strollers and just being the cutest most amazing little grandchildren ever. People smiled at them and commented how nicely behaved they were. I just beamed. I was so overjoyed that I told hubby to just go on. Look and enjoy yourself. I have got this. It went south in a hurry. The oldest spied a candy bowl sitting on a vender table. They don’t get a lot of candy at home. I was warned about candy. But what would one little piece of candy for each of them hurt? As soon as that first bit of sugar hit their little systems it was like they had ingested crack cocaine. Eyes glazed over, drool was running down their chins. I swear they were twitching. And then I saw at every table there was a candy bowl. It was a big show. There were lots of tables. And the people! My grands were just so precious and adorable that the people from those tables were giving them handfuls of candy! They could unwrap it and have it in their mouths before I could stop them. They were poking it in their pockets. Hiding it in the seat of the strollers. Twenty minutes in, my eyes were glazed over and I am not real sure, but I might have possibly been drooling and twitching as well. By that time, they had discovered they were Houdini and unstrapped themselves from the stroller and were running from table to table grabbing what they could. I looked around in desperation, where was their Pappy! I did not have this!
        I decided it was time to go outside. Get them away from temptation. They did not want to go outside. There was no candy outside. There were not cute and precious anymore. They were crazed little people on a sugar high! The same people that only moments ago, had cooed and admired them were now staring as I drug one by the hood of his jacket as he screamed, “Pappy help me!” Don’t waste your breath kid, Pappy has left the building. The other little cherub was riding on my hip screaming in my ear. Thrashing and when not screaming at the top of her lungs holding her breath till her lips turned blue. I tried to be dignified as I marched out. I heard snickers and chuckles and in the back ground one “bless your heart.”
    We finally arrived outside. I put the screamer down to catch my breath and she darted like a gazelle down the sidewalk headed toward the parking lot. I got her gathered up and looked back to make sure the other one was still where I left him. He was standing in front of the fountain. Apparently, the sound of rushing water was more then he could handle because he was “watering” the plants around the fountain. If you know what I mean. An elderly gentleman and his wife just happened to be walking by as I was hollering at him to pull his pants up! The gentleman just laughed and said “little boys will be little boys”, and his wife looked at me with pity and said, “bless your heart. “After patting them down for contraband candy, I spent the rest of the afternoon in the pickup listening to Hank the Cow dog. Hiccupping children. And much complaining about stomach aches.  My Cowboy finally came loping across the parking lot with all his purchases in his hands. Eyes gleaming like a kid at Christmas. And asked me, “were they good?” I will not say any more about that experience. Or the ride home. It is best left in the past.
    The guilt of that ordeal must have weighed heavily on my cowboy’s heart. Of course, I never mentioned it again. Let dead dogs lie and all that jazz. But he is a sensitive soul. So, when I came home with a flyer about the production of the Phantom of the Opera in Lubbock and mentioned that I would like to go, he stopped what he was doing and immediately ordered the tickets. Ok. The truth. I didn’t get much of a response to my idea. Other than a look. And he didn’t order the tickets. The flyer sat on the table for about 6 weeks. I finally tossed it. One day he came in and sat down at the computer.  This is unusual behavior. So, I asked him what he was doing. He said, “well if you want to go to that singing thing we need tickets.”  I was speechless. I wondered if I was dreaming or maybe had a stroke of some sort. But no! He was ordering tickets and taking me to the opera!
     The night arrived. We dressed up in our Sunday best and headed to Lubbock. We ate a wonderful steak at the Double Nickle Steakhouse. If you have never eaten there I give it a 5-star rating. Amazing. And feeding a man a big steak before he must endure something I am sure he never in his life thought he would have to endure is only right.
       We arrived at the show and took our seats. It was a full house. The lights went down and the show began. As soon as it started I glanced at my Cowboy. No facial expression. None. Every so often I would steal a glance. Nothing. After one of the more intense leaping and dancing scenes I ask him what he thought? “Interesting”. That was it. Interesting.  The intermission came. He looked at me and asked, “why do they sing all the sentences?” “Because that’s what they do in Opera” I replied. Like I know, this was as new to me as it was to him. Other than UIL plays in high school and one on college I had never been to a live production either. But one of us had to know what was going on. So, I faked it. Then he asked, “are they singing in English?” I admit I was a little stumped on that one. But yes, yes, they are singing in English. At least I was fairly certain it was English. I asked him once more what he thought. “It is interesting.” That was all I was going to get.
      When it was all said, and done we had a wonderful time. It was fun to do something different and my Cowboy admitted that he guessed a little culture would not hurt him every so often. And I am glad to hear him say that because in August they are doing Seven Brides for Seven Brothers!
God Bless and Happy Trails
MB

No comments: