I don’t know a lot
about what goes on in the world of fashion. I don’t understand “popular
culture.” I don’t know a lot about who the popular people are in the world, and
why we like them. I don’t understand Kim Kardashian. I kept seeing her name
here and there and saw pictures of her I thought she was an actress or
something. I asked my middle daughter, she is the hip cool daughter who knows
these things, my oldest is not as clueless as I am, but almost, why Kim was
famous, her answer, “she is rich and has a big butt.” Well all righty then!
Rich I can understand. Big butt? That I don’t get. Guess I am just old
fashioned but back in the day your “butt” was not considered a beauty accessory.
Women have spent decades and thousands of dollars trying to hide/camouflage the
parts of our bodies that in some instances and in my opinion need hiding. Think
girdles. I remember shopping with my Mamaw and Aunt, this was when women
dressed nicely for nothing more than a trip to the grocery store. About halfway
through the day they would start fanning themselves and declaring they couldn’t
wait to get home so they could get their girdles off. I am not suggesting that
we go back to girdles! Heaven forbid! What I am suggesting is have some common
sense. Those Daisy Dukes may have looked cute and precious when you were 18,
but not so much when you are 60. Unless you are rich like Cher and can have you
whole body lifted, tucked and sucked. She has been completely overhauled to the
point that her face, while wrinkle free can never change expression. I admire a
woman that ages gracefully, and accepts that while the beauty of youth fades
away the beauty on the inside keeps growing and becoming more radiant with a
life well lived. My grandmother is 97 and she is beautiful inside and out.
Just when you think
you have seen it all, just when you figure out Kim K. And you learn to
pronounce her husband’s name another bombshell is thrown at you. The other morning
at 6:30 my phone goes off. A text message from my oldest. “You won’t believe
this!” She has a link to a site on the internet. I click on the link and it
takes me to a site with the words, “Romphim!” Emblazed across the top of the
page. Under the title there was a picture of several men all looking happy
smiling largely for the camera. I clicked again and they came to life! Jumping
and dancing while the script was being read by an enthusiastic invisible voice.
It was an advertisement for…men’s rompers. Rompers. Those two words should not
even be in the same sentence. Men and romper. This has to be a joke, surely it
is a joke. My oldest assures me that it is not. She has already conferred with
hip cool daughter, our go to for all things modern and weird, and she assured
my oldest that indeed it was true. Matter of fact the company had a campaign
going to help raise money to get the “Romphim’s,” on the market. They had a
goal of raising $ 10,000.00 and by June the 4th, they had raised $360,000.00!
If your pre-ordered you would have a huge discount on a patriotic themed “Romphim,”
just in time for the 4th of July! Only $ 90.00 dollars!! $90.00
dollars for a men’s onesie! I don’t know what is more disturbing, the fact that
some nut thought this was a good idea, or the fact that they had already raised
$360,000.00 dollars!
The more I have thought
about this the funnier it has become. Can you envision cowboy rompers! A man
riding through the thorny mesquite chasing a wild bovine all the while decked
out in his cowboy themed romper! They would have to design little romper chaps
to go with. How about oil field workers, maybe a hard hat to match! Carpenter
rompers, complete with tool belt, construction worker rompers. Complete the
look with faux snakeskin steel toed boots! Farmer rompers! They could be made
out of John Deere green! The list goes on and on.
The funny thing
about all this is, the men in my family have been styling rompers before
styling rompers was cool. They wear them every winter. When the temperature
gauge starts hovering around 40 degrees they pull them out and pull them on.
They are red, you can get them on other colors but red is the most popular.
They are typically worn under clothes, but with this new romper rage going on
they might need to rethink that. If they do decide to wear them as outer wear
my one request is this. Please button up your back flap!
God Bless and Happy Trails
No comments:
Post a Comment