Toxic Masculinity
I have decided that
when you think that you have heard it all, you are just opening up a can of
worms for yourself. Every time I use that phrase I discover that indeed, I have
not heard it all. Not only have I not heard it all, I am getting tired of what
I am hearing.
The other day I saw
an article with the title, “Toxic Masculinity.” I wondered what the heck was
“toxic masculinity,” so I clicked. Do you ever wish you could take back a
“click?” Just an innocent thing, see
something that spikes your interest, you “click,” and before you know it you
are mad as wet hen, sputtering to no one but yourself, because you are at home
alone, while your very own “toxic male,” is off working a job that keeps food
on the table and the light bill paid.
I know everybody
saw the picture of the young man carrying a woman with a baby clutched to her
chest, out of the flood waters of Hurricane Harvey. I did, and it brought tears
to my eyes. My thoughts were, “oh what a brave young man!” I just wanted to hug
him, make him a batch of cookies and thank him for helping that young mother
get her baby to safety! The day I clicked on the headline trying to satisfy my
curiosity about “Toxic Masculinity,” this picture came up and emblazoned across
the article were the words. “Toxic Masculinity.”
I didn’t even know
this “toxic masculinity,” was a thing. Apparently it is. Apparently it is being
written about out in the land of all things weird and odd. You know. The media.
Not only is it being written about there are seminars that “men” can go to at
very prestigious colleges that teach “men” to not be “toxic.” Apparently the
young man that carried the mother and her baby out of harm’s way was a “toxic
male”. My blood pressure would have
stayed normal if only I had not “clicked.” If I had not read the comments, I
would have saved myself from a near stroke.
I can’t even go there. But I have to share one comment. One commenter
said, “the water wasn’t that deep she easily could have walked on her own!” I
wanted to scream! Maybe she could, maybe she could not! The water was up to his
waist. She looked to weigh about 100 pounds. She was holding a baby! The
current was fast I am sure, not to mention dirty water with who only knows what
it had in it! Snakes and gators come to mind! That young man was acting like
the gentleman that his mama probably raised him to be. The only thing “toxic,”
about that picture was the water a brave young gentleman was carrying that
little mother through!
I am surrounded by
“toxic males.” Have been all my life. I never knew it was considered “toxic,”
to have good manners. It’s a wonder I am not in therapy over it all. When I
think of all the doors that have been opened for me! Of all the dirty nasty
jobs that I could have done myself, if only my “toxic” male husband had not
horned in on them! Like blowing out the sewer lines! Or pulling a dead calf out
of the uterus of a cow! He is one sorry “toxic,”male! Not only did I marry a
“toxic” male, I raised a couple of them. I taught them to be gentlemen. To do
all the things that we women of today are supposed to hate. Things like, opening
doors, saying “yes ma’am, no ma’am and thank you ma’am.” “You don’t hit girls!”
That phrase came out of my mouth a least one hundred times a day! And to be
honest, at times the sisters might have deserved a light tap on the head! They
took full advantage of “don’t hit girls,” mantra and reigned havoc on their
brothers. Those same girls grew up and married “toxic males!” The oldest has
one “toxic male child.” The circle continues!
Personally I am
thankful for all those “toxic males,” out there. And I just want to give each and every one a
big “Thank You!” The first thank you, goes to my husband who has always kept a
job, food on the table and a roof over our heads. I want to thank my sons who
learned at any early age to respect women and be gentlemen. I am blessed with
two son-in-laws that take the responsibility of being providers and protectors
seriously. Thank you to all the men who in the past opened doors for me, an overwhelmed
young mother carrying a baby, pushing a baby stroller and had another child
hanging on my leg having a fit. Thank you to the man in the parking lot long
ago that came to my aid when I locked my keys in the pickup. I was an hour from
home, it was winter and getting dark and was before cell phones, so I couldn’t
call home for help. In a few minutes he had me safely on my way! Most recently
I would like to thank the two men that saw me in distress as I accidently let
the door of the newspaper dispenser slam shut with my newly knitted winter
scarf in it. The scarf was hung just so and was tangled up in the opening
mechanism. It was a mess. I had out my pocket knife, the pocket knife that was
a Christmas gift from my youngest “toxic male” son in case I needed to cut
something and he wasn’t around. I was going to cut it out as best I could. As I
was starting operate two gentlemen walked by and asked if they could help. I
explained the situation and they were horrified I was going to cut “that
pretty,” scarf. They told me to hang on, went and got some tools out of their
“toxic manmobile,” aka “pickup.” Came back and in no time had my scarf released
with minimal damage and the newspaper dispenser still intact! The day was
saved!
Thank you! All you
“toxic males,” out there, that prove though, it may be on the verge of
extinction chivalry is not dead yet!
God Bless and Happy Trails!
2 comments:
Well said, my friend! Me thinks you need to challenge the media and put these kinds of stories into circulation. More of this 'toxicity' is needed to combat the trash that calls itself media today. It makes me madder than that old wet hen and heartbroken at the same time to see what they are doing to our country.
Well, since you did click on that "toxic" article, I'm glad you shared it. How down and dirty people get these days; it's so disgusting, rude and uncalled for. I can't even imagine someone saying that about the nice man who carried that lady and baby to safety.
I'm not sure how I got here! :)
Post a Comment