Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ponderings ........

I have had several posts swimming around in my head these last few days....But due to circumstances beyond my control....housework, school, and a quilting day yesterday, I just have not had the time to sit down and put together a coherent post. Sometimes the pondering's in my head or not very coherent anyway...but I try.

Our ladies Bible study has started back up after the Christmas break, and I finally made it in this past Monday night. I was glad to be there....but also very convicted, not about being there..but about what we studied.

We have been in the book of Romans....a very deep book by the way. I have to admit I like Romans, and then I don't. I don't because it makes me take a good long look at my walk with the Lord, and that makes me squirm. Which is really a good thing, because I need to do a spiritual checkup...pretty often. Sometimes several times a day, sometimes several times an hour. So I might as well just get over myself and realize that this old sinful heart of mine needs a good kick in the pants from time to time, which is what I got Monday night.

We were in Romans chapter 7. All about the Law and being free from in due to the coming of Christ. And that is a good thing. Then we go on down to vs 13. Paul is giving us a glimpse of his own personal struggle with sin. And for me this is very encouraging in a way..because I mean here is Paul! A great man of God and he is sharing his struggles. I won't write out all that is there in these verses..but oh my. He is describing exactly what I feel a big part of the time. " For what I am doing I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice: but what I hate, that I do." And it goes on all the way down to verse 25. I completely relate to the statement he makes in verse 24.." O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?" And then he gives thanks for Jesus Christ who will do just that. That is my hope. Although I struggle daily in my flesh I know that if I keep on keeping on and striving to draw closer to the Lord in the end it will all be worth it.

But having said that and knowing that I also have try and live according to how Christ would have me live. Not sinless perfection...because it can't be done. Only one man that walked this earth was perfect, completely perfect, without sin. And that was Christ. But I can't just say " well I can never be perfect, so I can go on and do what I want cause I am saved anyway." Nope that just won't work, that is not how we are called to be. We are called to be Christlike. Not Christ, not some little god person....but Christlike. To me that means to display a Christlike attitude in all we do and all we say. From the biggest things to the smallest things. From how you treat the rude checker at Wally to how you treat your children and your husband. Guilty on all accounts.

A very wise woman at Bible study made this statement the other night...." You cannot look like the world...and talk like Christ." Talk about being hit by a load of spiritual bricks! We are called to be separate. Set apart from the world. But...why do we look like the world? In the way we dress, in the way we act, in the shows, TV programs, movies, we watch, in the music we listen to. I thought about this...if I was being observed by an unknown watcher, and they didn't know where I stood spiritually, was I a Believer or not...could they tell by the way I lived my life? Hummmmm honestly at times I doubt that they could. And we are being watched by the way. First by the Lord..He sees all. And by the world...Are these people that call themselves Christians the real deal or not? Do they live what they preach? Or do they live one way on Sunday and another way on Monday?

One pondering usually leads to another pondering...but I need to go cook my dear family something for dinner so I will leave you with the first verse in Romans Chapter 8, an encouragement after Romans Chapter 7.....where hopefully we have all done a spiritual heart check.

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife

11 comments:

Countrygirl said...

My toes, my toes!!!! Yesterday in my devotional it said -"When God gets us alone through suffering, heartbreak, temptation, disappointment, sickness, or by thwarted desires, a broken friendship, or a new friendship— when He gets us absolutely alone, and we are totally speechless, unable to ask even one question, then He begins to teach us." Boy did that grab my attention! Sometimes I get so wrapped up in whatever that there is no time for God! This has been quite an eye-opener for me, and I am relying on Him to get me thru this - just as He has done every other crisis in my life. Thanks for the good words - we aren't perfect - but He is.

LeAnna said...

Amen! Romans 6, 7, and 8 pack quite the punch, don't they? To remember that it's not what we do, or profess, or name and claim, but rather His Grace that is sufficient for us. All he asks in return is that we live to be like HIM. And if you think about it, our hearts desire should be to closely reflect the One who set us free. And we know that when we fail, it's through HIS mercy that we may overcome. He already fought that battle. Thanks for sharing, M!

Ranch wife said...

My toes have been swollen since Monday night. Ha .

Good to see you gals still having the energy for posting. Hope both of you are feeling better.

Wow oh Wow L. The time is almost here! I am so excited and praying for a very good labor and delivery.

~M~

cottonpicker said...

Well, that's just what I wanted to hear.....yeah I've got a "conviction" stamp written all over my forehead. I'm struggling with Psalms 118:8 - trusting God and not man.

Ranch Wife said...

You'll never know how I needed to hear just this! I miss Monday nights - thanks for throwing that spiritual brick at me. K - who is off to have a little chat with a very patient Saviour.

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Oh My...Thank you RanchWife for sharing your study with us! I read it last night, this a.m. and going again tonite! We should have a blog bible study..with you leading us of course.

KELLI MC said...

I second that, I was actually just thinking that I feel a little better everytime I read this blog, like it's my own little devotional.

Ranch wife said...

Oh My you girls are so sweet. An online Bible study....hum how would that work? Might be food for thought.

Please let me tell you this, Please please don't take what I write here and read it and never check it out for yourself in the Word. I don't have all the answers and I could very well be wrong. It is my desire always to point people to Jesus....not my words..but His. Always always check any words written out with the Word of God...His is always right and perfect, and you can never never be lead astray in His Word.

But thank you all for your encouragement, you all are a blessing to me. I wish we could all meet one day and just have coffee and cookies, and cookies and ice cream, and maybe more coffee, and then more cookies, and then.....a big fat steak...to settle out stomachs! And visit and talk about the Lord till the cows come home!

God Bless you all

~M~

Paula said...

Okay - I'm behind on my posting but this was sooooo cool when I read it. You see, we've started our Bible study and Thursday, Bailey led the study. Of course it was on Romans 8 - How cool is that - she also went on to explain the different sinful ways of man and explained that for every sinful way, there is a fruit of the Spirit that we should focus on! All of this from my 12 year old!

Yes - I need an evaluation regularly as well. Because more often then not, I continue to do what I don't want to do!

Blessings~
P.

OH! - I'm all for meetin' and eatin'!

Gumbo Lily said...

When you talked about..."do we look like the world?" I got to thinking about this saying we have. When a glove falls into the mud, does the glove get muddy or does the mud get glovey? It seems like the stuff of the world gets on us, no matter what we do.
I'm so glad for His grace.

Jody

KELLI MC said...

well I think we SHOULD all meet up one day! And my vote is for your part of the country. Always wanted to see that part. Anyway, maybe one day...............But anyways, thanks for your posts, they are refreshing and a nice thing to look forward to reading- I think you should write a book.