First.....gather your wild prickly pear
These are not ripe

There are various varieties of pear. Oh by the way.....my dh has always referred to it as "Pear", and so I will as well....I hate typing so any short cuts that I can find I am all for. My Dear Father In Law has always referred to it as " Cac " Just so you know. Anyway the Pear we have here is very short and stubby with tons, and I do mean tons of very long...very long spines. The pictures that I have taken or of Pear that I imported long ago from Texas. They grow to be huge! I made the mistake of planting it in my yard...and after a few years and much growth...it was almost as tall as me..I had DH take it out, which he had to do with a chainsaw. It was quite humorous to watch. I took the paddles and planted them in a more convenient place....or it was until it started to really grow....hint...don't plant your pear beside any gate going into your yard...you will be sorry.
Anyway, you want your fruit to be very very red. Here that is usually in late summer/early fall. When it is red you pick. Very carefully.
Here is one that is just starting to turn.....

To gather these you need very heavy leather gloves...and a big set of pliers. And you just pick them off the plant. Sounds easy huh...well watch for these....

The big ones will get you...but it is the little ones that will deal your misery later in the day. You will find them in places that you don't know how they got there.
Now you have to get the small spiny things off of your pear fruit. The best way to do this that I have found...and if anybody out there has a better idea...please let me know..is to burn them. You can stick a long fork in them and just hold them over the flame of a gas stove..or grill. It doesn't take much but it is time consuming.
When you have them relativity free of stickers then split them in half. Place them in a large pot and add just enough water that they won't stick and cook them until they are tender.
Then proceed as you would any jelly. Mash them into a colander and let the juice drain into a large bowl. Now for this jelly it is good to pour through dense cheesecloth or an old clean pillow case and let it drip slowly through. You will not get all the stickers and this way hopefully you will catch the strays.
One note....this stuff makes the most beautiful color of juice. It is awesome. And it will stain. Wear old clothes. And just plan on having red hands for a few days.
Here is the recipe.
*note*
This isn't the one that I have always used..but it sounds like it might be a tad easier so I am going to post it. If it is....disregard all the the above..maybe this is the best way! Or try both ways and see which works better.
Prickly Pear Jelly
61/2 cups of prickly pear juice
2 packages of Sure-Jell
1/2 cup of lemon juice
9 cups of sugar
Do not peel your prickly pear fruit. *note* I never did either.
Wear gloves and rub off spines with a gunny sack....*note* I am doubtful, but hey nothing ventured nothing gained.
It's not necessary that all the spines are removed. It's amazing how fast they disappear when cooked.
Put fully ripe fruit in kettle with a small amount of water, not more than three cups of an 8 quart kettle. Bring to a boil and mash with a potato masher.
Do not overcook. If fruit is fully ripe they will be fairly juicy.
Drain through cloth
Measure juice into a large kettle, and bring to a boil. Add 2 packages of Sure_jell. Boil hard for one minute, a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Add lemon juice and sugar. Bring back to a hard boil, let boil for a minute.
Be sure you measure exactly. If a more firm jelly is desired omit 1/4 cup of juice and add 1/2 cup of sugar. Jelly will be a beautiful claret red and firm.
Well there it is folks. I wish you luck. And happy prickly pear pick'n.
God Bless and Happy Trails
Ranchwife
9 comments:
Well . . . I was going to say, "NO THANK YOU!" But then I thought, "how rude" . . . but still . . . NO THANK YOU! Those suckers are mean and I don't think the jelly can even make up for the meanness!! BUT - great post as usual Friend!
Blessings~
P.
Well, that was fast, Ranch Wife! I am really glad for your advice on this venture of making jelly out of prickly pear cactus. I *think* I want to at least say I tried it once.
Question: What if you didn't take the spines off the "fruit" part and just let it cook and mash it in the pot and strain well? Would we end up with a whole lotta stickers in the juice?
My prickly pears are WAY more stickery than yours so I'm leary. Thanks for posting the recipe and the tips.
Jody
Jody....personally I would think the small spines would end up in the jelly if they were not removed. I have always removed them so I don't know any other way. I guess you could do a test batch and find out.
Let me know what you find out.
~M~
I've had prickly pear nettles attached to my person before and it ain't pleasant. Can you imagine one of them suckers getting in your jelly, and you're happily eating a biscuit when all the sudden it feels like you've swallowed a goat head.
Yowza. That'd be about like eating pink wall insulation. Not that I know what eating pink wall insulation is like, it just seems like a good comparison.
Please pass the Smuckers.
I am So going to have to try that... I wonder where I can find a bunch of prickly pear! How many fruits (?) does it take to make 6 1/2 cups of juice? Just an estimate... Like 20 or 200?? LOL TIA
I used to make this jelly....till I discovered nobody cared for it...including me. As far as the prickly pear growing as tall as you...well...that's not saying too much!! Ha! Just kidding!!
I read that 1 qt. pears (just covered with water) will yield about 2 1/2 c. juice. Does that seem about right, Ranch Wife?
Jody
BK....you live in the part of NM that is pretty. Ha
Juice....I have no idea...
Cottonpicker.....Everybody loves it but me....and since I am the boss of my kitchen......I do what I want.
Jody...that sounds about right. I always make wayyyyyyyy too much, thus I am really sick of it by the time I am done.
~M~
Well you are a better woman than I am - sounds like a mess of work for a jar of jelly! Think I'll stick to spineless jelly.
Post a Comment