Pretty and green.
I adore windmills. I just had to take picture of this one. The fan is huge! Can't tell it so much with just a picture. DH said with a fan that big the water had to be several hundred feet deep. He shuddered at the thought of pulling it.
Funny what you can stumble upon when you are just out and about. DH and I decided to drive down the road to a small town called Marathon. They have this old historic hotel and eating place. We cannot afford to stay or eat there. We just looked. It is a cool place. And I didn't even get a picture of it. But I did get some pictures at the Gage Gardens....I know you are not supposed to envy...but I wish this was my yard!!
There was even a vineyard.
Sunday was the highlight of our trip. We attended Big Bend Cowboy Church. Our dear friends Jeff and Donna Gore were ministering in song, and Jeff delivered an awesome sermon. This church is just the coolest thing. They meet in an old wool warehouse. No air conditioning, and little heat in the winter. Folks must not mind too much there was a full house. Made me think of how it was when Jesus was ministering all around the countryside. We have gotten so spoilt and really, just big sissy's. We have to have air conditioning, heat and comfortable chairs, and big beautiful buildings. Not there that is anything wrong with those things. There isn't...if that is not the focus. Jesus is the focus, whether it is out on a hilltop, in a huge Church or a wool barn in Alpine Texas. We were truly blessed to be there that is for sure.
After Church is was time to start back to NM. But not until we headed down the road to here....
Fort Davis is a quaint town that boasts...a Fort. Thus the name. The fort has been somewhat restored and it a must see if you are ever in this area. It housed the Buffalo Soldiers in the 1800's. I have been here before but we had to take Youngest. A perfect homeschool field trip.
Youngest trying out the accommodations.
It rained about the time we started the tour. But is was so nice and refreshing. We never grip about rain.
Officers house
Married men lived here.
Well thats that. Probably bored yall out of your gourds.
I must tell all of you about a give-a-way. Head over to " Life Can Be Delicious" Look on my sidebar. I would link it but am not sure how...and my computer tech won't answer her phone. Anyway...check it out and enter up.
God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife
FBA sucess!!!!!!!!!!!Coming soon to a blog next to you.
ut
7 comments:
I love seeing the pics of your area, and where you guys travel. Looks like a really neat trip, I especially love the windmill. I adore them also. :-)
And here I thought you were my friend! Posting pictures that make me cry. Shame on you! Made me homesick, but see, now you know why I fussed for so long about having to move from there! I left my heat in the Ft. Davis Mountains...(sung to the tune of I left my heat in San Fransisco - although why anyone would want to leave their heart in San Fransisco is beyond me!). I still tear up when I hear "I Can't See Texas From Here". Guess I'm just a cryin fool.
We were fortunate enough to spend a few nights at The Gage just 2 weeks ago and end the week in Christian fellowship outside of Ft. Davis at Bloys Camp. It was such a refreshing trip, so blessed we are! We live in So. Texas and the break from the humidity was wonderful. I loved that yall (the family) got to getaway for the weekend. The Cowboy Church in Alpine sounds really neat. My husband LOVES that country, he grew up on San Angelo and somehow we ended up down close to my parent's ranch so he can help Dad.
GOD BLESS, from one biscuit eater to another.
Naomi, thanks for the comment, and for stopping by. Also your comment on the FBA post cracked me up.
Karin. I am deeply sorry I made you cry. I wanted to cry when we left and when we hit Pecos I wanted to howl, Carlsbad just pass out and wake up in heaven.
Elaine...welcome! So glad yall had a good time. I like San Angelo. My Great GrandParents were married at the Fort way back in the day. DH and I both raised in north central Texas. We have been out here for around 18 years but our hearts are still in Texas.
GOd Bless all
~M~
Really beautiful country. I loved the tour. Thanks for taking us along. That window in the rock wall was very cool. Loved how green it is there.
I like windmills too.
I've never been to church in a wool house, but why not?
Jody
Beautiful pictures! I love those officer's houses, the married ones especially. I can just see a wife out on the porch in a long dress. That looks like heaven!
Texas/NM is just the stuff of legends to Canadian prairie cowgirl. It's like you folks live in the Movie world, although . . . quite a few westerns are actually made not far from us around Calgary Alberta, one of my favorites anyway, Open Range, with Kevin Costner, and I think,The Little Big Horn, with Dustin Hoffman too, but that was a while ago.
Post a Comment