Tuesday, December 11, 2007

We are back!

Hola`
As you can see we are back from Mexico. It was a great trip, and I feel very blessed to have been a part of it.
Sara has a great post about it and lots of good pictures. As usual she is sad to be home. I think she leaves a part of her heart down there everytime we go. :)
I love going, but I am always glad to be home. A bath, my bed, seeing my DD and other kiddos is pretty great.

Juarez.....what can you say. It is a sad depressing place. I have to be very careful not to become overwhelmed when we go down there. There is so much everything, poverty, sadness, hopelessness, dirt. I could go on but you get the picture. It makes me feel so very blessed to live where I live. There are many things wrong with this country, but even with all the bad things we are a blessed people. If you don't think so just step over the border. It amazes me that only 4 hours from my back door there are people living in pallet houses at a city dump.

There is a lookout that is at the top of one of the mountains that surround the city. We have been up there twice. It is a truly amazing view. It is not the beauty that holds my attention. Because really there is none. It is how vast this city really is. Two million people! And over the border El Paso boasts a hefty one million. That is three million people in one area. That is alot of people in one place.

Anyway as I was sitting there just looking and pondering, I got to thinking about all of those people. I got to thinking about the poverty, the sickness, the sin, the dirt, just the evil that seems to just permeate the whole area. And the Lord reminded me of this, He loves each and every one of those people. He knows everyone of them. He sees all the yuck of the place. Nothing about it surprises Him. And He is in control. He yearns for them all to turn to Him and be saved. Ernesto says often that,"the fields in Juarez are ready for harvest," but it seems to me that the workers are few. Lord send your people.

Ernesto and Maggie Vega are two awesome people. They have literally laid down their lives for the Lord, and for their people. Sara has a few shots of the church on her blog, but they don't really do it justice. Unless you have been there you really can't get a grasp of the neighborhood where they live. It is one of the better ones, and it isn't good. Drugs, prostitution, a satan worshipper, make up some of the neighbors. But the peace of God is all over the compound where the church sits. The minute you drive in the gates you feel safe and protected. God is amazing.

As I said I can't really add much to what Sara and her pictures have to say. So go and have a look. Pray for Ernesto and Maggie, and for the folks that make up their congregation. And pray for the harvest that is ready to be picked in Mexico.

3 comments:

Joshua said...

It is amazing how ignorant we are as Americans. We don't realize how little everyone else has because we are never exposed to it. It is so easy for us to help them, we just have to find that time when God says, "These are my children, help them." He is calling to all of us and we just have to listen. All we have to do is listen.

Ranch wife said...

Yep you are right. We don't listen, and we don't try to find the time to listen. We are always to busy doing, and mostly thinking about ourselves.
M.

Anglican Mama said...

This was a blessing to read--how easy it is to fall into our daily routine, forgetting what others suffer. Our own daily or momentary sufferings seems so magnified until we realize that there are those suffering without Him...and those suffering FOR Him. When that revelation and gratitude work together, things start falling into a sweet perspective.