Dear BK seems to be in quite a fix...she needs a chili rellano recipe and can't remember what blog she read it on....and I can't remember if I ever posted it, and I am to lazy to go back and look so here goes....
My DH loves these and he would eat them every single day of every single week all year long. Seriously. He is so happy that the chili crop is coming in, but he is not happy with the prices which seem to be running around $18.00 a bushel....yikes!! At that price there won't be many bushels bought in this hacienda.
Chili Rellano's
Take very large thick skinned firm chili's and roast them..the skin needs to blister all over. When you have them roasted place them in a plastic baggie or sack, or in something that will make them sweat, it makes them easier to peel. Then after a few minutes peel them. I peel mine under running water into a colander, so I won't stop up the sink. That makes DH cranky.
*note* for those of you that don't have access to fresh chili.....my heart goes out to you, You can buy whole green chili in cans at the grocery store, at least you can around here. I have never used it so I don't know if they would work, maybe so, maybe no.
Anyway, make a split in the side of the chili near the top. Remove the seeds. Then stuff with long slivers of cheese, cheddar is Ok but I think monterey jack is better.
After you have that done, Oh I didn't tell yall to have a pie plate full of beaten eggs ready and waiting did I? Well have that near by, the amount of eggs will depend on the amount of chili's....Six eggs is a good number to start with. Oh and have a pie plate with some flour as well.
Heat some oil in your cast iron skillet, I am sure you all have one or two,or several. I have 3 myself. I like olive oil, but any will do. And I don't use a lot, just enough to keep them from sticking.
Now take you stuffed chili and roll them in the flour, isn't the proper term..'dredge'? I think I recall that from my high school homemaking class..I nearly failed that class, can you believe it! That's another post all together..maybe someday.
After coating the chili with flour, dip them and roll them around in your egg mixture. After they are fully coated place them in your hot skillet and fry evenly on both sides. I need to mention that when you stuff them don't stuff them so full that you can't pull the skin back together where you stuffed them. If you don't try and pull it back together all your cheese will melt and leak out when you fry them. And another thing put that side up when you began frying them, just seems to work better for some odd reason. I guess you could put a toothpick in to keep them closed, but I am too lazy to do that. They cook so fast that you can usually out smart them and get them out before to much leakage.
There are probably thousands of ways to do this. Some people make a batter and deep fry them. I have never liked them that way because to me they are very greasy. Not that these aren't, but if you use olive oil and not very much I think they are relatively healthy....well that might be a stretch, but that's what I tell myself.
I have a really good chili casserole that I will post, or maybe I already did....hum. Anyway I think you could use the canned chili very easily in it. But posting recipes wears me out and I can't do but one a day..maybe tomorrow, maybe the next week.
God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife
9 comments:
Great - I was looking for that recipe too but didn't want to seem greedy after getting all those great hamburger ideas. Would love a good chili recipe. My jalapenos are going crazy - how do you preserve the ones you can't use up - freezing?
You have posted about these boogers and I said then and I'll say it now, I'm a weinie.
I lo-o-o-ove chili rellanos! Don't know if I'll ever get into making one... unfortunately for me, I can get them at several restaurantes mexicano. However, was shocked, and burned figurately speaking at Borders. Turned out I didn't read the fine print. They make them with Poblanos I think it was. Too hot for me. But a good green chili is just right.
THANK YOU!! Perfect timing too, as I have to make these things for supper. Many many many thanks!
(((Happy dance)))
HOLY COW THOSE ARE HOT!! My dad loves them though! He just said that he's sweating now ;) Wow... I don't know what kind of chiles they were, just whatever my cousin gave me. I just ate the cheese out of the inside and my mouth is ON FIRE! LOL But I'm going back for more to see if maybe that was just a hot one
My DH's favorite! He thanks you! I am also waiting for the casserole recipe! Hint! I cook next Thursday for school, and need a new recipe. Hint! Yum.
PS. I like your new look - very spiffy!
OK to all you gringo's out there that can't take the heat...actually I prefer to taste my food and not have my lips burned off my face. There are mild chili's. I like them better. We usually buy some mild for me and some hot for DH. I make sure and label them so I will know what to expect...so there is an option, just wanted to pass that on.
~M~
These are great. I have some small critters to cook for so I used the same recipe but sweet banana peppers for them and anchos for the rest of us.
Post a Comment