Hamburger meat....I have a love hate relationship with hamburger meat. Sometimes I get sooooo tired of it, but if I am getting low I almost go into panic mode. Hamburger is a staple of life around this house. We are blessed to have beef provided with this job. When all the kids were home we could easily go through 2 beefs a year...of course when I cook for the crew I use a lot of meat. Now that there aren't as many kids at home all the time, we don't use near that much.
What to do with hamburger....Of course we eat a lot of hamburgers. The kids love hamburgers, I love hamburgers and so does DH. To add a punch to a hamburger load it up with green chili and cheese....oh my! Makes me drool just thinking about it. With a toasted bun...toasted in a cast iron skillet with butter...I didn't say it was heart healthy, now did I? But it is amazing.
I like to do this, but rarely do it because...I don't know why. Take several packages of hamburger and brown it all up, then refreeze it. It is so handy to have it. And I don't know why I don't do it more.
Chicken fried hamburger patties. Prepare just like chicken fried steak .
I have always done it this way..because it is the way my Mammaw did it. To about 2 pounds of meat add a handful of saltine crackers..just crush them good in your hands. Add an egg. Salt and pepper and a touch of milk. Now mix it all up ....again use your hands, it works better. Make sure you haven't been milking the cow are cleaning the chicken coop, and if you have wash them! Then make into patties, dip into a beaten egg and milk mixture, then roll in flour and fry, in grease in a cast iron skillet until done. Make a batch of milk gravy, mashed taters and biscuits, eat and close your eyes and don't think about heart health.
Browned hamburger meat, mixed up with milk gravy served over hot biscuits with fried potatoes..... One of my favorite suppers....don't think about heart health. :)
Hummmm to you see a trend...meat, gravy, biscuits....
I adore gravy. Is gravy a southern thing? I don't know, but give me a plate of gravy and biscuits and I am a happy camper.
Mexican food....tacos, enchiladas, burritos, chimi's......is there anything left to say?
Stew...not traditional like stew meat. But DH had a bad experience with stew meat as a child...His mother bless her heart does not cook meat long enough and thus her roasts and things like that are always done....but tough as boot leather. Thus he hates stew meat. So whenever we get beef processed I have them grind it all into the hamburger pile.
Brown your meat....then in a big pot add meat, potatoes, corn, carrots..anything you like in stew, season to taste cook for a few hours. Add a nice pan of cornbread and your done.
Cabbage and hamburger meat...this is original I made this up. DH and I love cabbage, the kids turn their picky noses up. But I don't care, more for us. I had a nice cabbage out of the garden the other day, so I did this.
Saute some onions in a skillet, when done add lots of garlic, and saute some more, careful to not burn the garlic. Add shredded up cabbage, cover and cook over low flame until done. Stir every so often so it wont burn. Then add browned hamburger meat that you have seasoned to taste. Stir and combine cabbage and hamburger meat. Then add a can of diced tomatoes and a small can of tomato sauce. May have to add a little water. Cover and cook about 30 minutes. Then sprinkle mozzarella cheese over, melt and your done! I serve this with rice, salad and cornbread.
Spaghetti......My kids don't like the meat balls all that much so I just brown the meat and add it to the sauce.
They love sloppy joes, I hate the canned junk. Did you know there are wonderful homemade recipes all over the web for sloppy joes? I will let you research that on your own. I tend to use a new one every time and haven't decided on a favorite one yet.
Oh this is easy and quick..brown hamburger meat. To the browned meat add 1 can of rotel, 1 can of corn, 1 can of ranch style beans 1 can of tomato sauce and a can of green chilies, chopped, or jalapenos which ever your prefer. Season with salt,pepper,garlic,onion,and ground red chili, or chili powder. Let come to a boil and then simmer for a bit, like 30 minutes. Sprinkle chedder cheese over the top and serve with homemade tortillas, or cornbread. You can do this is a slow cooker on low.
I hope this helps some..I don't really have any set recipes, there are a ton out there. And I could probably add some more...but basically I just make most of them up as I go. I always look at a recipe as a suggestion and then you just do your own thing. :)
I think if I am not mistaken Brazel Blogger posted a recipe on making beef jerky out of hamburger.....did I just dream that up? Les if you did indeed post that maybe could you re post or link us in to it? Might come in very very handy.
Well I must say farewell. All this talk about cooking and I haven't cooked a thing for dinner and I will have hungry mouths to feed here before long.
God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife.
11 comments:
We make sloppy joes by just mixing browned hanburger and BBQ sauce. Really good! Beef is such a staple in this family, when you started naming stuff to do with it I was think "Oh yeah forgot about that, oh and that one, that one too" LOL My mom makes some killer chile too, using ranch style beans diced tomatoes and hamburger, add red chile pepper and some cayenne pepper if you want it HOT. Serve with cheese and fritos ;) Kids love it!
My family likes sloppy joes that I add a bottle of Chile Sauce into along with a little brown sugar and worcestershire sauce to burger browned with chopped onions and green peppers. Every once in a while my hubby asks for the canned sauce.
My favorite sloppy joe is: 1 can tomato soup - 2 tbsp. sugar - 1 tbsp. vinigar - 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce. Does not make much but yummy. Another favorite is Cowboy Stew - I just throw things in by the way - take about a lb. of browned hamburger and mix with BBQ baked beans. Bake for like 10 days! YUMMY with cornbread!
I'm with you on the biscuits and gravy with fried tators! I'm wearing it around my middle! hehe!
Blessings~
P.
One old cowboy, Jimmy, who worked for DH used to make pancakes and then cook hamburger - because it was cheaper than sausage. He ate that for almost every meal - he'd been to prison for DUI's and they didn't get to eat beef there - only the wild pigs they'd kill on the prison farm.
Thank you, Ranchwife - lots of good ideas - why didn't I think of chicken fried hamburgers - we love anything to do with biscuits and gravy too. I've printed off your entire post and stuck it on my fridge. I cook three meals a day for 9 people (some of them small critters) - they all thank you too.
The title sounds like a quote from ME! Oh so thankful for the beef in my freezer but hate the days when I open the freezer and just stare at the hamburger thinking "now what can I do?" I do all the same things you do...really the sky is the limit with it...I just seem to get into a rut periodically!!! I did post a recipe for the beef jerky with hamburger...I'll get that link for you probably tonite...gotta get moving this a.m., it's sale day at the Cattle auction! Have a wonderful Wednesday!
p.s. My word verification is
"slogod" Slow God...sometimes I think he is...but I forget his timing is Perfect!
Hamburger stew is one of my favorites. I throw in some tomatoes, sweet potatoes, lima beans and whatever other veggie isn't freezer burnt, add in some seasoning and eat it with cornbread. I could eat it all winter long! B is also a big fan of SOS - won't tell you what that stands for- toast, hamburger, and gravy. I like to take hb meat, brown it with sauteed onion, garlic, and bell pepper, add some worcester sauce and a little beef broth, cook some rice and mix it all together. Kinda makes a non spicy version of "dirty rice" - Also like browned hb meat with a creamy sour cream mushroom gravy served over egg noodles. Man, the options are endless!
Ranch Wife,
Your hamburger recipes sound a lot like mine. We also have our beef butchered and so there's always, always a lot of hamburger meat. I give a lot of it to my kids who live away from home. They can make basic things with it so it works nice for poor married or poor college kids.
I like to make hamburger hash with my meat and serve it alongside of pancakes or waffles. Start browning burger with a little onion, S&P. About half way through browning, add thin sliced potatoes. I sometimes add a bit of oil at this stage. I cover the pan so as to hasten the potatoes softening and then finish it off to a crispy stage before serving.
I also have made a lot of goulash in my day....Browned beef, onions, peppers, garlic, a bit of salsa, a cup or so of sour cream and some smoky paprika. Mix in a pound of cooked macaroni.
I love your cabbage dish. I make one very similar as a casserole that I call "Lazy Pig." The browned burger, rice, cabbage, onion and all goes into a large casserole or cake pan. We love it on a cool day.
We like hamburger for:
meat balls, meat loaf, fried in patties with slices of onions and green pepper alongside, in vegetable beef soups and all the other ways you mentioned too.
I, too, love gravy! It's not just a southern thing. And biscuits!
Jody
Here is the link to the Beef Jerky...not sure why I can't get it highlight so you can just "click" on it...but you can copy and paste!
Enjoy!
http://brazleblogger.blogspot.com/2009/02/beef-jerky-and-some-other-stuff.html
Thanks to all of you that added ideas to the hamburger post. Loved the ideas and responses.
Have a great Sabbath day everybody.
~M~
Hi - I made your chicken fried hamburger with the taters biscuits and gravy and after he'd finished a plateful, my 6 year old wiped the gravy from his chin and said "That's good eatin, Mama" Thanks again
Post a Comment