Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Those Pesky Sirloin Tip Steaks.....

I Used to hate when DH came in from the barn, after retreiving for me a package of meat from the deep freeze, and say these words.." there sure is alot of sirloin tip steak left." Shudder, glup, drats! I had a deep hate relationship with sirloin tip steak..chuck roasts as well. I solved the chuck roast problem and had the hateful things ground up into hamburger and life has been good ever since.

Back to sirloin tip steaks. They are the "bad" part of the sirloin cut of beef. I believe DH told me they come off the end.. Anyway, they are tough with stringy bits of fat and such running through them. I have tried in vain to grill them and it took two days to chew them up. Not wanting to waste beef..and don't think I didn't think about using them for dog food..just a thought here and there. DH would not be a happy camper about that. I had to come up with a way to cook the darn things so that we would not need to head down to Mexico in search of replacements for our teeth. So I thought I would share what I contrived.

First I have not really bought meat in the grocery store for 20 years. I consider myself blessed indeed. I do take a gander every now and again and I do believe that I saw sirloin steaks cut up into nice little bite sized bits...and they called them "sirloin tips". A nice name. Mine do not come that way. So I decided to do the same thing to the hunks of tough beef that I am provided with. It worked. Once I discovered that cutting up the hateful things made all the difference, the sun came out, the birds started tweeting, and now I have replaced my hate of sirloin tip steak to not quite love...but almost to a form of fondness.

Last week DH came in with, " sure are alot of sirloin tips in the freezer". And instead of sitting in the corner and throwing ashes on my head I just smiled secure in the knowledge that I had the secret, and I would not be defeated anymore by sirloin tip steaks. So here is what I did.

Sirloin Tip Steak Pot-Pie

If your steak isn't already cut up then take a sharp knife and cut into bite sized pieces. My weiner dog knows when steak is in the house. Most days she just snores in her bed. How she knowes in a dead sleep that I am trimming steak I will never know. But she does and she waddles in and sits behind me barking until I let her have the scrapes.

Getting back to the recipe. Dust the bits with flour and salt and pepper to taste.

Saute an onion in a skillet, I use olive oll. When it is almost done, brown your steak until the sides are nice and brownish.

Now I have found that beef broth is great to use instead of water. I have also discovered that they make only a few brands that don't have MSG in them. As I am allergic to MSG this has made me very happy.

Add enough beef broth that your meat is moist but not covered. You can add more if needed during the cooking process.

Place a lid on and cook on low for a couple of hours, stirring and adding more liquid if needed. The broth will reduce and the slow cooking gets the juices out of the meat and of course makes it tender.

Prepare your veggies. I used carrots, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. Just chop in small pieces. I add the carrots first and let them cook longer because they take longer to get tender. When the carrots are tender and meat is tender then add the rest of vegtables and cook till almost done.

Now make your crust.
1 cup of flour
1 cup of milk
1 stick of butter melted
2 tsp. of baking powder and dash of salt

Mix all together and pour over the top of meat and veg. mixture. Bake at 370 till brown.

This can be make in a 9X13 pan. I make mine in a large skillet and you can always use chicken. I recommend a whole chicken because that gives you that lovely broth.

I hope you enjoy!

God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife

3 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

Being a ranchwife here, I hear your pain over sirloin tip steaks. I usually have them cut up at the butcher and use them in stews and sometimes I marinate them, bread them, and deep fry. Your steak pie sounds delish!

Jody

Saska said...

we would eat this! I usually cook it like you say, but serve it over pasta...or rice.

Have you tried sprinkling a dry italian pkg of dressing over them before you cook...also add a pkg of au jus mix too. We like that.

Or I found a McCormick's pkg of peppercorn and garlic seasoning that I really like...good on pork too. (the OTHER white meat!) :)

Keepin' Up With The Jones said...

I feel your pain! Especially with all that roast; Seems like it sits in my freezer until last resort!

Thanks for sharing the recipe!