Monday, March 26, 2012

The Promise Land.........

This past weekend we took a little trip. DH's dad turned 77 on Saturday and we decided since we had not seen them in almost a year that we needed to head that direction.

All I can say is "oh my"! Last summer when we made the journey it was bad. Really bad. The fires that swept through Texas swept through much of what we drive through getting there. It was burned, brown, ugly and sad. Made my heart hurt to see all that range land gone. But now now after a little rain here is what we saw.....


Green grass. So green it almost hurt our poor ole desert rat eyes. And wildflowers! Buffalo Pea's and my favorite Bluebonnets. Love love them!










My M-I-L was telling me that while visiting with an older gentleman he mentioned that never in his life had he seen it so dry that the cedars started to die....He was in his 80's

l

This dirt tank behind the house is usually full to the brim..this is what is there now, and only because of the few inches of rain they have received in the last several weeks.


All the way down I saw signs "Pray for Rain", on bank signs, church signs etc. I got tickled at one on a church that said simply.."Thank You for the rain". So many times we pray and pray and ask and ask...then we forget to say a simple "thank you". I liked that they did. The drought of 2011 is far from over and seems to be creeping into 2012. But God is on the throne and in control and I think He sent a little hope in the form of some green grass and bluebonnets.

God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So pretty!!! I wish I could take P's picture in the bluebonnets.

Gumbo Lily said...

Beautiful wildflowers. It's amazing what a fire and then a little rain can do for the land. I hope you start getting rains soon.

LeAnna said...

Oh, I do love those bluebonnets. Reminds me of all the visits we took to see my Grandparents when they lived in Texas. They grew like crazy down the highway medians. So gorgeous!

Keepin' Up With The Jones said...

So nice to see that green! So, so nice! We're in a different part of the country, but know we'll be next on the 'drought-list'!

Rachel said...

Love it, it's nice to see some green for sure!! Love, love bluebonnets!!!

Yes, I think this is the worst yet, we know an old rancher who lived through the 30's and can remember it, in his mid 90's now, and he can't remember it being this bad.... We have lost lots of cedars as well, it's sad. In more ways than that one.

Yes, Amen that our Lord is in complete control!!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Love love love those wildflowers. Gorgeous.

Sounds like a fun weekend and a beautiful sight for desert eyes! ha ha

Countrygirl said...

Beautiful pictures! I miss the bluebonnets! We can see the green grass here! But we got snow again yesterday morning. Glad you got away!