Friday, May 18, 2012

One tired Maw...

Today I am loved and adored by the two male members of my household. Loved and adored. Yes I know that they love and adore me each and everyday...but today there may just be a tad more love and adoration going on then normal. Ha

Today I have cooked. That is not to say that on all the other days I don't. I cook everyday. Today I cooked all day. All day on my feet slaving away for the men in my life. Sacrificing my time. Pouring out my heart and soul into food to sustain them on life's arduous journey.Just spreading love via cookie dough.

Yes I am the Bomb Diggity!

It started with eggs. Gobs and gobs of eggs. Eggs everywhere. My icebox was full of eggs. I love my chickens. Good ole faithful hens that they are but mercy they have been on overtime in the eggs laying department. So I decided to make an angel food cake. You do know that you can make them homemade right? Of course you do because I know that yall are mighty smart folks. Yes it can be done and it take exactly one dozen egg whites.  While the cake was baking I thought " what about the yolks'? Now I am not into waste. I hate waste and I sure hated to throw those yolks to the dogs. So I googled "what to do with egg yolks". And in a second I had all the ideas I ever wanted to know on how to use up egg yolks...who knew!!

So here is what came of those 12 eggs yolks.

Lemon curd. Never have I ever had it..thus never have I ever made it..but I understand it is  very English  to have at tea time with scones or biscuits or even on English muffins. And since I was feeling puny yesterday and gorged myself on English dramas on Netflix...( the men were branding on the other side of the ranch), what was I to do but whip up Lemon curd?

It is quite tasty.

Yellow Butter cake....takes 6 egg yolks and makes a nice layer cake. I placed the separate layers in freezer bags and froze them. When I need a cake it will be like a magic trip to the freezer and there it will be, and all I will have to do is whip up some frosting.

Cookies.....Honey peanut butter these were at the request of my youngest who is much in love with both peanut butter and honey. These cookies are great and they have no refined sugar. Did you hear that NO refined sugar! That makes me happy.

And my DH most favorite cookie Gingerbread men. And I know it is not Christmas but does it really have to be Christmas to enjoy a good Gingerbread man? I think not! And guess what??? These cookies have no refined sugar in them either! Oh happy Day!

Ok I am a bad blogger and I don't have pictures of any of these creations. Why...because we were robbed and my camera was stolen? Aliens came and took it? We visited Carlsbad caverns and I dropped it down the bottomless pit. No, none of the above. Simple truth..it is upstairs and I am too lazy to go up and get it. Just keeping it real.

But.....I am going to share the recipe's for the cookies. Because I am on a crusade against refined sugar. Yes I know...I am always on a crusade against refined sugar. But today..I am an oak. An oak that might be leaning alittle due to the cakes and curd but an oak none the less.


So here we go..

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Cookies...

I did not use whole wheat because a certain child of mine was in the kitchen  watching me with hawk eyes to make sure I didn't. Brat.

1/2 cup of peanut butter
1/2/cup soft butter
1/2 cup of honey/or brown sugar
1 egg

mix all these together then add 1 teaspoon of your homemade vanilla that I am sure you all have brewing in a cheap vodka bottle in the back of your cabinet.

mix again then sift into mixture

1 cup of flour..you may need to add more to make the dough of right texture
1 t. of soda
1/2 cup of dry milk powder.

Mix well, drop by teaspoon fulls on lightly greased cookie sheet, mash down with a fork and bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes.

Gingerbread Men

1/4 cup honey
1 cup molasses
1 large egg
1/2 oil, or melted butter I use olive oil
Mix all together in a large bowl
Then sift in
4 cups whole wheat flour..I use half white and half whole wheat
1 1/4 t. cinnamon
1 1/4 t. ginger
1/4 t. cloves
4 t. baking powder

This will make a heavy dough and it needs to chill, the colder the dough the better it works. Preheat oven to 325 and cut out your cookies..oh after you roll them out to about 1/8 of an inch thick. I just roll a little at a time and keep the dough in the icebox when not rolling. Does that make sense?  Decorate if desired after baking.

I make dozens of these at Christmas and kids love them, and they are pretty healthy as far as cookies go. They are wonderful with a cup of coffee or hot tea or cold milk.

And what is for supper??

Grilled T-Bone
Roasted sweet potatoes
Garden spinach..I hope
Roasted garlic with whole wheat bread
Angel food cake, berries and fresh whipped cream

Then maybe a Cary Grant movie, a nice back rub from DH and bed.

God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife

7 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow you should win a trophy! All that in one day and it is not even a holiday or canning time. Sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE making angel food cake, can you send me the recipe for the lemon curd????????

Ranch wife said...

Sure will BK Won't be till Monday we are heading out to see the newest grandbaby.

~M~

Gumbo Lily said...

You ARE so GOOD!!!
Do you know what is delicious? Lemon curd on angel food cake (along with a dollop of whipped cream). I only started making lemon curd a couple of years ago and I just love it. Did you?

Jody

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Sounds YUMMY! I will be making the peanut butter cookies for sure, I had to LAUGH...I can't seem to get by with using whole wheat flour when certain "eyes" are in the kitchen!!! {grin}

Thanks for sharing all the yummy treats...good to hear from ya.
Sorry I missed supper :)
Take care M!

p.s. On Jen's pics of branding...I couldn't believe how N has changed...he looks so grown up! My youngest was 12 in January and I'm seeing the same change.

Rachel said...

You were a busy gal, it all sounds yummy!!

So glad we got to see y'all, hope y'all had a great visit with new grandbaby and family!! He is precious!!!

little apple tally said...

There surely was some refined sugar in the angel food, was thre now? Which is fine, I'd hate to see you too pure. )