Monday, August 19, 2013

The Middle of August! Oh My!

I look at the calendar and can't believe that we are in the smack dab middle of August. Fall is almost here! I love fall, I don't love winter but I love fall and I am excited about it being fall. Summer hasn't been so bad though we had a few really hot days and boy were they hot. But we had rain...not enough but oh how nice it has been to see green grass. The pastures round look so nice and the cows are fat and slick..nothing prettier then a fat slick cow in my opinion.

Cooking. It is my life. I go to bed and think of menus and recipes and my next shopping list....food, food, food. I wish I had a dollar for every biscuit I have made in the last 3 or so weeks. I think I could retire. I am pretty sure I can make them in my sleep now. And some mornings I feel as if I am. But really..I like the job. It is an easy crew to work for and they eat everything I put out. And I love their routine. Every place I have ever cooked for has been different. Or done things differently...For example on the ranch we left they never ever wore their spurs in the house. Always pulled them off at the door. And they just piled up their dirty dishes into a dirty dish mountain and waltzed away. I always...or most always got a thank you...some did and some were raised in a barn by wolves and just walked out. Rudeness I tell you! But these guys...they are wonderful. I don't put the food out till the boss gives me the "look". He doesn't want anyone of they are a few minutes late to feel bad about being a few minutes late...we wait, and then the "look" and nod of the head and the food goes out. The women and children are expected, invited to come and eat at the cookhouse. If they want. They aren't forced, as is anyone else that might be wandering by at meal time. It is nice, but sometimes makes for a little head scratching on the exact count for any given meal. It has been hard to get used to the way they handle the chow line...the kids go first, the ladies next and the cowboys last. Wow! That is not what I am used to at all. On the ranch we left the men went first and if there was anything left it went to the kids and me. I still can't sit and eat with them even though they have made it very plain that they don't mind at all...old habits die hard I guess. I still wait till they are gone and then have a bite.

This is the best part...after they eat they take their plates, scrape them in the trash....rinse their plates and .......drum roll......put them in the dishwasher! Can you believe it? Even the kids are trained. It is awesome I tell you. 10 to 15 plates that I don't have to touch! And if I don't make it out to the ice machine to get the ice before they come in one of the cowboys just grabs it and fills it up for me..and if I need the trash taken out and it is heavy they grab that as well. I feel like a queen I tell you. And always I get...say this in a long slow Texas drawl...." Thank you....sure was good." Restores my hope that chivalry is not dead yet.

God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife.

6 comments:

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

I'm glad to hear that YOU are being blessed while totally blessing others! That is awesome. So glad you are enjoying it...I want to come and hang out in that awesome kitchen with you!

We have had probably about 25" of rain in the last 30 days...and it has been in the 80's and 90's here...NOT NORMAL FOR AUGUST IN KANSAS I tell ya...but we are THANKFUL! The air already feels like fall here...its a little strange!
Take care~

little apple tally said...

Almost sounds too good to be true. Two things in life that are rewarding - work and being appreciated for work.
Is this position ongoing? Or is it limited to a season?

Countrygirl said...

Having eaten at your table many times I would also carry out the trash, bring in the ice, scrape my plate and load it -
just to make sure I was welcome for the next meal! Sure wish we could sit on that porch and sing! Love and miss you lots!

Ranch wife said...

Les you are welcome anytime!

Little Apple...I have the job till I don't want it anymore..it is a year round deal.

CountryGirl..I would never make you work for your dinner, and yes that porch is awesome that picture is only about a fourth of it. It wraps around the whole building and it is huge. I like sitting out and watching the sun come up.

Love to all
~M~

Anglican Mama said...

Oh my, that makes me reminisce about the trip we took out for J's graduation! We were there for the branding and witnessed a breakfast for the cowboys. :) I thought that was probably the best experience ever. Now it sounds like it's even better!
I really miss you guys. Been needed to get back in touch with your oldest and it really makes me want to make a trip to see you. If ever I can scrape some pennies together... :)

Gumbo Lily said...

I noticed that you have lots of recipes on Pinterest that "feed a crowd," and they look REALLY good! I'm so glad to hear you've got a bunch of good folks to cook for who also appreciate you. A good thing!

~Jody