Saturday, July 19, 2008

I love this....

Cottonpicker sent this to me, and as I read through it it brought back to mind my childhood. Many of these things that were said I remember so clearly. Some were before my time..but many were not.
I know that looking back, things seem a little more rosy then they actually were at times. But I do miss how simple so many things were when I was a kid. I don't think we have improved upon the world, with all this technology and all the so called advances that we have now. Many are and can be used as a blessing. But I wonder if we are really any better off. I suppose in someways....such as the medical field. But even then I wonder when I read of some of the horrible things they are doing in the name of "science" Like cloning, and placing human embryos into animals. Is that advancement? Or a perversion of God given intelligence? I think the latter.

Anyway here is the forward, read through it and enjoy the trip down memory lane, I did.












>
> THINGS YOU DON'T HEAR ANYMORE........
> Green Green Grass of Home
>
> Be sure to refill the ice trays, we're going to have company after while.
> Watch for the postman, I want to get this letter to Aunt Mary in the mail
> today.
> Quit slamming the screen door when you are on your way out!
> Be sure and pull the windows down when you leave, it looks like a shower is
> coming up.
>
> Don't forget to wind the clock before you go to bed.
> Wash your feet before you go to bed, they are nasty from playing outside all
> day barefooted.
>
> Why can't you remember to roll up your pant legs? Getting them caught in the
> bicycle chain so many times is tearing them up.
> You have torn the knees out of that pair of pants so many times there is
> nothing left to put a patch on.
>
> Don't you go outside with your good school clothes on!
> Go comb your hair; it looks like the rats have nested in it all night.
> Be sure and pour the cream off the top of the milk when you open the new
> bottle.
> Take that empty bottle to the store with you so you won't have to pay a
> deposit on another one.
>
> Put a dish towel over the cake so the flies won't get on it.
> Quit jumping on the floor! I have a cake in the oven and you are going to
> make it fall if you don't quit!
> Let me know when the Fuller Brush man comes by, I need to get a few things
> from him.
> You boys stay close by, the car may not start and I will need you to help
> push it off.
>
> There's a dollar in my purse, get 5 gallons of gas when you go to town.
> Open the back door and see if we can get a breeze through here, it is
> getting hot.
>
> You can walk to the store; it won't hurt you to get some exercise.
> Don't sit too close to the TV. It is hard on your eyes.
>
> If you pull that stunt again, I am going to wear you out!
> Don't lose that button; I'll sew it back on after awhile.
>
> Wash under your neck before you come to the table, you have beads of dirt
> and sweat all under there.
> Get out from under the sewing machine; pumping it messes up the thread!
> Be sure and fill the lamps this morning so we don't have to do that tonight
> in the dark.
>
> Here, take this old magazine to the toilet with you when you go, we are
> almost out of paper out there.
> Go out to the well and draw a bucket of water so I can wash dishes.
> Don't turn the radio on now, I want the battery to be up when the Grand Ole
> Opry comes on.
>
> No! I don't have nine cents for you to go to the show. Do you think money
> grows on trees?
> Eat those vegetables, they'll make you big and strong like your daddy.
> That dog is NOT coming in this house! I don't care how cold it is out there,
> dogs just don't come in the house.
>
> Sit still! I'm trying to get your hair cut straight and you keep moving and
> it is all botched up.
> Hush your mouth! I don't want to hear words like that! I'll wash your mouth
> out with soap!
> It is time for your system to be cleaned out. I am going to give you a dose
> of castor oil tonight.
> If you get a spanking in school and I find out about it, you'll get another
> one when you get home.
>
> Quit crossing your eyes! They will get stuck that way!
> Soak your foot in this pan of coal oil so that bad cut won't get infected.
> When you take your driving test, don't forget to signal each turn. Left arm
> straight out the window for a left turn; left arm bent up at the elbow for a
> right turn; and straight down to the side of the door when you are going to
> stop.
>
> It is: "Yes Ma'am!" and "No Ma'am!" to me, young man, and don't you forget
> it!
> Y'all come back now, ya hear!

3 comments:

cottonpicker said...

There are only a few comments on that list that pertain to my family today - but at least there are still a few.

Joshua said...

I have never experienced the thriving majority of these things, but I know a few. It seems as thought this country is getting a lot less personal. Families don't have the same relationship they used to. Hmm.

Joshua

Countrygirl said...

Heard some of these myself! It's funny how things change but stay the same!