Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sometimes you just want to run screaming into the night.......

Ask how we have spent our Saturday. Well let me tell you it hasn't been the relaxing day that it should have been. It is late in the evening and poor DH is in over his head trying to install my brand spanking new cook stove.

The story began Thursday. He mentioned to his boss that we needed a new stove. Ours is falling to bits and pieces. Since the ranch furnishes the appliances in the ranch houses, he said sure go ahead and get one. I could not believe it. DH has just been putting new parts on this old thing for...well..years. Imagine my excitement..a new stove!

Friday dawned and off he and I went, we were on a quest for a new stove, and to buy groceries, and get it all done, and then head back into town for the rodeo later in the evening.

It didn't take but about 30 minutes for me to find the stove I wanted..and wonder of wonders it was a scratch and dent, and they would let it go for a very very good price. It was wonderful, it has 5 burners, one can be replaced with a griddle, and two ovens, one big and one little one that is just the right size for cookies, or a pizza pan. Oh my I was in love!

They had to make sure that it wasn't already taken before we could make a final plan. And promised to call the minute they found out. No biggie, we needed to get groceries and such. So off we went. Bought our groceries, no call. Had a bushel of chili roasted, still no call. Did the wal-mart and Sams things, still no call. Meet DD at the auto parts store. DH had to look at the little green machine, as it was dying and not running well. Switched rigs with her, and took hers back to Wallie world and had a new battery put on. Still no call. Left out, back toward home and stopped by just to see what the deal was. Oh yes we could have it and they had meant to call......but.... I get soooooo tired of dealing with people.

What started out as a short day..had turned into a long day. Too late to bring my new stove home. So we zoomed home, got cleaned up, and turned right back around and drove back to the rodeo. Whew! I thought I would have to have electric shock just to stay awake through the whole thing. But Cottonpicker and her DH were there and we visted and such, and had a nice time. anyway. Although the rodeo just went on and on and on. It was 11 when it was over! And it started at 7! It takes awhile to run 18 teams.

Well this morning DH and I rubbed our sleepy eyes, got up had coffee and off to town we zoomed once again. Went in made the final deal on the stove. Got all the stuff he needed to install it, conversion kit etc. We have propane, and it was set up for natural gas. DH is an old hand at doing this kind of thing, and they assured him that it was a snap to convert....not as easy as the old ones, but a snap just the same. Wellllllll 5 hours later it is still not installed. Dh is about ready to load it up drive it back into town and leave it at their doorstep. At this point I will help him. It is just crazy. Why do they have to make things so dad gum hard? All this new fangled stuff is just complicated. And if you can find something plain it is just junk. Expensive junk I might add. So here we are, Saturday night, no way to cook supper, I even bought pizza making's in anticipation of the new instillation of my new and improved cooking appliance. And we have missed the 2nd night of the rodeo.
I know I am whining.

And the other day I had to buy a new iron. I bought the one that was just like my old one because it was heavy and had actual metal in it. Well I didn't realize that it had some kind of safety junk on it, and if you leave it for about 3 minutes it shuts off. Oh my that just makes me very very mad! And then it takes forever to heat back up, and even then it does not get as hot as my old one. Just makes me want to scream. If you need an iron and need a hot one! Not some little sissy puny iron. What is this world coming to. I ask you when will the madness end?

Well after this uplifting and informative post I think I will go fix us some yummy sandwiches. And give poor DH a pat on the head. Bless his heart.

Have a good one!
God Bless and Happy Trails
Ranch Wife

5 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

Bless your hearts! Both you and DH! I understand how frustrated you must be when something that's supposed to be simple turns out to be a nightmare. Here's hoping all falls into place and you can have your nice stove up and cooking soon.

Hugs, Pat

Joshua said...

Well, that is sad. I would have come over and helped... but no one called : / Hehe. Hope all goes well. And yes, working with people can get very tiring.

Joshua

LeAnna said...

I won't laugh, I promise. However, your scenario is the story of my life. Only, Brandon never has the right parts, and he can't just "zoom" to town, he goes about 45 the whole way and sips his coffee slowly if ya know what I mean. We had this issue with my dryer as it was a 4 prong, and needed converted to a 3 prong plug. Or, something like that. Of course he didn't have the right prong, so I he had to go to Lowes, and that is never a quick trip. So, I feel your pain. Remind me of this when I beg and plead him to change out my electric stove for a gas one, mkay? Knock on your computer screen and say Woman, what thinketh thou?" of course it'll be a while before I bring it up, after all I have a shower that still needs tiled... :P

Hope ya'll are in cookin' bidness now!

Paula said...

Things are never what they seem. I'm sorry the whole day was such a frustration. The good thing, though, look at all the quality time with DH! AND once that dadgum stove is figured out . . . what a joy it will be to use!!

Blessings~
P.

KELLI MC said...

That makes me want to deal with my old 70's stove that only 2 burners work on. I do not want to go through all of that as my husband would probably make me crazy(he gets frustrated easy when dealing with household things) But when you do get that working, how lucky you will be! It sounds awesome. Like I said I have a 2 burner oven that likes to burn everything! Also I have found, crazy as this is that the cheap irons work pretty good. They do not have all the little extras like the one that makes it go off. It just comes on and stays on and gets really really hot. The thing is somewhat of a danger for both those reasons but works great! So sometimes cheaper is ok! HAHAHAAA