Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Poor Ranchgirl! Never fear! Mother is coming to the rescue!

Poor little Ranchgirl she is having a heck of a time getting that biscuit recpie to all the fellow biscuit lovers of the world. So I decided to help her out. I do not want you poor people to be biscuit deprived! How awful would that be?

I am not entirely sure what recipe she is trying to remember to post, but here are two that are a standby in this family.

PitchFork Ranch Biscuits

I got this when first married, and they are sure enough the real deal. Come right out of the cookhouse on the ranch.

5 cups of flour
1 cup of crisco
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 tablespoons of sugar

mix altogether until crumbly

next add 1/2 cup of warm water that 1 pkg of yeast has been dissolved in
2 cups of milk

make a well in you flour mixture and add the liquid ingredients.

Mix lightly, you do not want to over mix biscuits. You may need to add a tad more flour until you can handle the dough, but don't overdo it. You just don't want to real sticky.

Do not knead biscuits!

I pat mine out on a floured surface, I don't use a rolling pin..but you can, whatever works for you.

Cut with cutter, butter tops and bake @ 400 till nicely brown.

Go get a huge blob of butter, split biscuit apply...then pour honey all over...sit down a spell in your most comfortable chair and eat, being careful not to let the melted butter and honey run down your chin. But if you are alone...don't worry about it..just enjoy and clean up later!

When I was growing up my Mamaw made these almost every Sunday for dinner. Heavenly is the only way I know how to describe these biscuits.

Angel Biscuits

5 cups of flour
3 T. Sugar
3 tea. baking powder
1 tea. salt
1 pkg. of yeast dissolved in 1/2 cup of warm water
2 cups of buttermilk
3/4 cup of shortening.

Mix flour and shortening together until crumbly
add salt and baking powder
add sugar to yeast and water and wait till bubbly
Now make a well and add all the liquid ingredients

mix well, do not over mix, add more flour if needed.

Turn out on floured surface pat or roll out and cut.

Tip, dip these in melted butter before cooking, you won't be sorry.

Also you can make these up the night before and put them in the icebox...but they do need to rise a tad before baking. Actually even baking them right away they are better if you let them rise.

Bake @ 400 till golden brown.

Warning.....eating to many of these will acquire you the title..Biscuit Butt...ask me how I know :(

Mamaw served these with stewed apples. This is very simple to do and oh my goodness...it can't be beat for a cheap dessert that is good for you.

take dried apples, amount up to you.
Place in stew pan, put in just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer till done, soft and tender. Now you have to watch the water level, because since they are dried they will expand.

Then add a lot of butter. Sugar if needed, you may not need it at all. And a dash of cinnamon. Put a big spoon full on your hot biscuits, take a bite, close your eyes and savor the flavor.

I hope that was helpful...and if Ranchgirl has a better recipe maybe she will remember to post it tomorrow.

God Bless and Happy trails

RanchWife

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, it would be the angel biscuit recipe. Thanks for coming to the rescue! :)

Ranch wife said...

Glad to be of service...now I shall go and ponder on the deep questions of the universe....like do I want biscuits for supper?

~M~

little apple tally said...

You are making me hungry! Don't know about where you are but here abouts barn cats always put on a layer of fat before cold weather gets here. Well, I must be a barn cat!

Question: I'm new at this blogging thing. Where do all of you get such pretty background formats?

Ranch wife said...

Ah yes the winter fat layer...I know it well. Ha Ha

My daughter..Ranchgirl is the one that I holler at when I need a new look. I think....it is cutestblogontheblock.com

~M~

Joshua said...

I am feeling risky... So how do you know about that title Makrie?
;)

Joshua

Ranch wife said...

Oh poor uneducated Griff...don't you know that that is akin to asking a lady her age?

Bless your heart, I won't hold it against you, after all you didn't know any better and us Texas gals are the forgiving sort.

~M~

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Oh Ranchwife...Thank you, thank you, thank you! It's ok Jennifer that you forgot the recipe! It's a pregnant gal thing! Anyway back to the biscuits---I guess I'm willing to take my chances on the biscuit butt....oh how I love biscuits. I canNOT wait to make these this weekend.

Paula said...

Let me set the record straight since I am the only one who really can . . . Les does NOT have a biscuit butt and will probably never get one! I do have a layer of "cat" fat and will add biscuit butt to my self-description! AND I am also truly thankful for the recipes! Because - I DO NOT claim to be any sort of a good cook!

LeAnna said...

Ooooh, I thank you for these recipes. My husband thanks you. My biscuit badonkadonk bottom thanks you. My...
Well, I think I've covered the bases.
Now I'm craving fried apples and pancakes.
Thanks a lot.

Joshua said...

I am sorry. I didn't realize that I was asking your age. But since it is rude to ask a gal her age, then how much do you weigh?

Joshua *ducking for cover*

cottonpicker said...

Well, butter my butt and call me a biscuit....I'm headed to Walmart in search of crisco...and guess what I'll be serving this weekend with the mashed taters and roast??!
I might even get a foot massage out of this deal!!!

Ranch wife said...

Griff you are a hard learner..and a very bad boy.

Hope yall enjoy the recipes. Good luck.

~M~

The Wife said...

Yum! I may have to surprise the husband with bisquits with weekend! Thanks!

Pat - Arkansas said...

I have gained 5 pounds just reading the biscuit recipes! I love, love, love biscuits with yeast in them!

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have found a kindred spirit! Those of us who find our DH's still cute AND still for best bud...that's a rarity, isn't it! I look forward to "chattin'" so to speak with you...and thanks for the biscuit recipes too!!!