Thursday, October 30, 2008

My day is about to commence.....just one more cup of coffee please...and a recipe

Good morning.....I am saying that with all the enthusiasm that I can obtain...I am not a morning person, just so ya know. I get such a kick out of Cottonpicker, when she calls in the morning and I pick up the phone I always get this very exuberant....Good Morning!!!! Bless her heart, if she could just see through the phone and observe my bleary eyes, and what I call my " Mamaw stagger", no that isn't because I am gona be one in a few months. It is because one morning my DH was observing me trying to get across the room right after I had drug myself out of bed and made this comment, " You are beginning to walk like your Mamaw." Well I love you too.

I have a crew coming today, and they will eat promptly at 11...or so they say. So this will be a very short post. But DD emailed me and asked for this recipe....so I didn't want to let her down, as I know she has had these strange cravings for chicken. I hope Tadpole doesn't come out with feathers.

This was given to me by our Pastors wife back when we lived in the Panhandle. I love and miss them very much. They live in Arkansas. We got to see them about 4 years ago, and talk on the phone occasionally. They two, funny, wonderful, God fearing folks and I wish they lived next door to me.

Here it is...

Miss Jane's Chicken Mulligan

1 large hen
1/2 lb. of bacon, cooked till crisp
3 large bell peppers
3 large onions
red, black pepper, garlic, chili powder to taste
2 cans of tomatoes
3 cans of Mexican corn
1 can of English peas....optional
1 box of spaghetti

cook the peppers and onions in the bacon grease, for a few minutes.
boil spaghetti till half done.
de-bone the chicken that you have boiled..save broth
Mix in chicken meat and all ingredients..season to taste
Add a small bottle of catsup,and one bottle of hot sauce..tabasco etc.
Cook for 2 hours.

This makes a lot so be aware if you are just cooking for two or three you will be eating on this a week. So you may want to cut it in half.


God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife..who is off to make a batch of biscuits

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wooohoooo! Thank ya very much! I thought it called for squirrl though? I just told LeAnna that it did... I could have sworn that you said that at one time. Not that it matters, I wasn't planning on going to the park and shooting squirrls. I just like to know what I'm talking about!
Yikes, I hope Tadpole doesn't come out with feathers either. That would be most disturbing! And poor Pappy would be so sad! ;)

Ranch wife said...

The original that Miss Jane gave me does call for one large squirrel...she is from Arkansas you know. But...then she wrote in one large hen...for those of more discriminating taste.

~M~

Anonymous said...

Oh good, I did know what I was talking about! ;)

Ranch Wife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ranch Wife said...

Don't believe I've ever seena tadpole with feathers before!This might be fun - eat more chicken Jennifer!

Yummy! Seems as if I'm always cooking the same ol' thing - this looks like the ticket to get me out of my rut!

cottonpicker said...

Well, good evening!!! I said that with as much enthusium as I could muster....I'm not an evening person....good thing we're not married!! Ross will kill me if I put anymore chicken on the table.

The W.O.W. factor! said...

I hear you...I'm not a morning person either if I can help it!
Nor am I much of a fan for chicken but this sounds really good! Cowboy would love it for sure!
So...guess I need to copy 'n paste and add to my "to do" list!

Gumbo Lily said...

Ranchwife, I'm so glad your lil' Ranchgirl sent you on over to my blog and now....here I am at yours! This looks like a fun place to visit and I assure you, I'll be back! The recipe looks deluxe. I'm so glad you didn't add the squirrel -- we don't have any out here. Do you? Perhaps that's why it wasn't included.

I DO remember that our girls (and one son) were penpals. Isn't it cool how connections work out?

Jody

Ranch wife said...

Hi Jody, it is indeed a small world.

Glad you stopped by and hope you come back.

No squirrels here. I suppose they have them in town...but we are a long way from town. Only coyotes and I don't want one of those in my soup pot. :)

Have a great day

~M~

LeAnna said...

Sounds yum! Jennifer was trying to convince me of this wonderful soup stuff you make, only she didn't know what all was in it... :P All I got out of her was chicken and squirrel and "some other stuff" - good Arkansas folks. They eat all sorts of critters. Can't say I've ever had squirrel, but any animal that eats a lot of nuts should be high in Omega 3's...
Good thing you don't add it to yours, I'd have to call you the Hot Desert Hillbillies.