Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Big Reveal...

So I am finished with DD's bedroom. It took all last week, literally. Ranchgirl and I were putting things back on the bookshelf at 7 pm last Saturday night. I have come to the conclusion that age is creeping up on me. And I don't like it. All the up and down on the ladder and all the sanding down on my knees has left me feeling like I am as old as Moses. But with the help of DH and Ranchgirl we got it done. And when DD came in Sunday, she was very surprised and she just loves her new room! Yeah! Said she never wanted to leave it again. Yeah! Well I am sure that will come to an end, and soon, she has itchy feet. But maybe it won't be for awhile anyway.

Well enough words here are the before and after shots...hopefully.

Before......









Oh My Goodness ! How did that get in there? Ha...I was painting a hat rack and Tadpole was keeping me company. I was letting him pull the napkins out of the napkin holder on the kitchen table.



I decided that he needed to wear one on his head...and it loved it, gave him something to do trying to grab it off his head. I am pretty sure he is the cutest grand baby ever....don't even try to convince me otherwise.

After....





Wow...I bet you all are impressed that I found the time to whip up a quilt! Painting, redoing furniture by day...quilting by night with a coal oil lamp....Ok I have to confess, the quilter in me really hates to confess this...but that is from Wal-Mart. Yes Wal-Mart. It is from China and probably put together by small starving children in a sweat shop somewhere. And I am sure at the first washing it will fall into itty bitty pieces..but it is pretty and will have to do until I can come up with one. I have promised youngest son the next quilt so DD is on the waiting list.



Ugly old desk redo. DH built a bookshelf and we attached it on top, after I stripped it and sanded and applied a new coat of stain and varnish. This room is small, really small so we had go with one unit. It isn't a fine piece of furniture but I like it and she likes it cause her daddy built it. I also added new drawer pulls.....



Texas Stars of course. I had these leftover from another project. It is amazing what you can do with things you forgot you had...if you remember that you have them. :)

The goal was to spend the least amount of money that I could spend. The mattress was the big cost, and then the wood for the shelves. I had an old lamp that I had since we have been married..do any of you remember S&H green stamps? Well that is how I acquired that lamp. With a coat of hammered metal spray paint and a 5 dollar shade from Target, it is pretty snappy. The bed is old, it was my great-grand mothers. Funny story...the bed has been out in the barn for about 10 years or longer. And sitting in the barn it acquired a very rustic look, an aged patina if you want to be la-te-da. DH washed it off and brought it up to the house he asked me what color I was going to paint it. I told him I wasn't. He looked crazed for a minute and I announced to him that I was going with a look called "Shabby Chic", And the idea was everything was to look " shabby" , he said he didn't understand why anyone would actually want anything to look shabby on purpose. He didn't like shabby we had enough things that were shabby and he didn't think it was pretty. I then informed him that I was going to paint the bed, glossy white as a matter of fact, and he walked off looking relieved. When we got it all up and the room in order he said how good it looked and then he said," aren't you glad you went ahead and painted that bed and didn't do that 'hammered chick' stuff? Good grief. What do you say to that. I just nodded yes and he went on his merry way.



DH built this shelf out of scraps that he had left from the bookcase. The glass knobs were an after thought by me. I had them from yet again another project. She needed a place to display her photography. She took some awesome pictures when she was in Europe last year that it was a shame not to display them. And her green frogs and a very very old Kodack camera..a picture is sitting on it, not the one hanging down.



A girls got to have a place to hang her cowgirl hats..I think I picked this up for 2 dollars somewhere. Did a crackle paint finish, spray painted the hooks and it is perfect.



Ten dollar yard sell night stand. Painted an ugly brown. I stripped it and found a very lovely antique oak nightstand, very good shape and very solid. Prefect for displaying trophy buckles and a jar full of beach sand and shells from Washington State.



This is a blank canvas so to speak. Since it is her room, I didn't want to just take completely over. This she can do with as she pleases...more of her photography I hope....

Now what about the carpet. I told yall I wanted it gone, but didn't know if I was going to be able to pull it off. Well.. It is gone! Yeah! But what I found under the carpet was sad. The oak floor was in prefect condition, but someone with the taste of a caveman painted the whole thing brown. Really ugly brown. DH said it would take hours of sanding to get it up..and we were running out of time. So I painted it. It hurt my heart to paint over an oak floor,but... it had to be done. And as sorry as the floor paint I used was it will only be a matter of time before it has to be redone. Hint...do not buy floor paint at Wal-Mart. It is no good. But it looks fresh and clean for now and with the blue rugs I think it gives it a little extra punch. Here it is, not a very good picture but you get my drift.





And that is that. I only have two rooms of carpet left, and DH promised that we would tackle youngest DS's this fall, maybe. I don't think I will be ready for another makeover till then anyway. I may still be in the chiropractors office by fall, so that's just dandy with me.

God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife

We were blessed with 3 inches of rain Sunday evening!!! Happy 4th to all of you, we, Lord willing will be headed to Colorado Springs...DS is Ranch Rodeoing up that direction and we will go and lead support and much prayer as he is riding Saddle Bronc for this grand fiesta.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow that is CUTE! Wanna come do my room ;) I need a couple of those cute little display shelves... and the carpet OUT, with a new hardwood floor... The walls are painted and I have the bed set and curtains up... LOL! Hey if y'all go to CO springs will you go thru Raton, NM?

LeAnna said...

I love the room, it looks fantastic!

Paula said...

I am so impressed! It looks fantastic! So bright and airy! I love taking stuff from here and there and re-using it. I have an old glass lamp globe that I use for a candle holder!

I've been doing the re-do. You've motivated me to get pictures posted!

Job well done, friend!

P.

Countrygirl said...

Praise God for the rain, for the industrious mother, and for fresh, clean things. Great job!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Wonderful Re-Do...I'm tired just seeing all the projects you accomplished!! So glad all is well and WET in NM! Have a wonderful 4th of July in Colorado....
Les

Ranch wife said...

Thanks for all the comments. Hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July.

BK yes we will be going through Raton. I have no idea what time. I know we are leaving here around 4 in the morning. We will all be scattered to the wind this weekend. RanchGirl and her Hubby will be in Capitan, J. will be rodeoing there. DD#2 will be with them, hanging out and helping with Tadpole. DH and I and the 2 boys will be headed North.

Have a great weekend.

~M~

Ranch Wife said...

You are quite the inspiration! You should have your own DIY show! Ranchwife Designs Inc. Sounds catchy! Love the new look! Safe travels for ya'll this weekend and bronc ridin prayers for DS! I'll be wielding a paintbrush - you have inspired me to repaint the kitchen cabinets. Wish you would come over and talk me into knocking a hole in my kitchen wall.

cottonpicker said...

You did good!!

Gumbo Lily said...

What a blessing for your daughter to come home to such a pretty, fresh room. What a labor of love you gave her. I like it!

Jody

Gumbo Lily said...

I meant to ask you what type of cactus you're featuring on your banner? It reminds me much of our prickly pear which is in bloom just now.

Oh.....and Tadpole...he's adorable.

Jody

Anonymous said...

This is old news. We need new news!

Ranch wife said...

Jody, it is a prickly pear minus the prickles. It does not have the big thorns that the normal variety has. They say you can eat the paddles, if you peal them then fry them like squash. I have never tried it....but if the economy keeps going downhill I may have a wonderful market for them. :)

Jennifer...I know I know I know.

~M~