And I guess really my whirlwind life is pretty bland compared to most peoples. I mean I am not jetting to Rio or anything like that. Fifty miles down the road to Wallie is pretty much as far as I get...but let me tell ya, the Wallie here is an adventure in its self and not to be undertaken without a strong cup of coffee and a large Chocolate bar. That way you will have a caffeine edge to be able to endure being ran over with buggies and cussed in a foreign language by very mad women. Thats all I am gona say about that.
We did travel over to see my Sis last Sunday. She lives about 200 miles from here. Well 199.9 to be exact. It isn't that far but it has been two years since we have been there. Isn't that awful? 200 miles you say, that is quite a journey...Pshaw I say.. in this part of the world that is just a nice afternoon jaunt. We enjoyed our visit ate some good steak and headed back to the casa. DH needed to get away from here for a day at least. He said one good thing about going to my sisters was that it was even more ugly and more dry then it is here...so it made coming back to this part of the county better. Weird reasoning I guess, but if it works for him then that's good.
Hummm lets see what else? Well I killed me a snake. Yep my loyal Doberman that every one makes fun of because he really believes that he is a lap dog alerted me to this hideous creature lurking underneath my house in the crawl space. It really made me mad because I was having my morning coffee and trying to get my day started and didn't want to be interpreted by a snake..so I went out and shot him, in my night gown, just had to throw that bit of information in. Just keeping it real.
Warning graphic photos...

I had more photos, but didn't want to disturb your sensibilities. Didn't want to cause any swooning.
The nasty hideous snake. He was of the smallish variety, but hey he hissed, rattled and struck at me, and invaded my space..not to mention disturbed my coffee time. Actually this is the second one we have killed in the yard in two weeks. DH killed 2 one morning horseback. The rascals are really bad this year.
I was so proud of Rambo and he was proud as well. He just sat on the porch with a proud and noble look all day...now if he would just bark at the Census people.....
After such a scare what do you do? You console yourself with this.....

Lasagna, french bread and Greek salad.....yum....while listening to Dean Martin crooning on the stereo. Oh My!
And to finish it off homemade Angel food cake, strawberries and real whipped cream...

DH just came in and I decided that we needed to dance to Dean....It didn't work so well The cowboy two-step just does not work to That's Amore`. Guess we better stick to George Strait.
A fire...there was a fire, not on us..we just got the smell and much of the smoke. Here is DH the goober on his fire spotting stand.....aka, our source of communication with the outside world, the phone tower. We don't have a land line, just this lovely tower with an antenna. Dh has wanted to climb to the top ever since we have moved here. I stand at the bottom and screach at him until he comes back down. Why do they want to do the things they do?

Notice the green lushness of the land. Isn't it beautiful? Just a tad of sarcasm here.

He looks like he is making a call. He finally came down, much to my relief as the wind was blowing a pretty good gale.
DS has come home to the roost for the summer. Him and all his worldly goods. He has a good bed, but he prefers to sleep here,

Of course he is seldom here. He roams the country with a buddy cowboying for different folks. He comes home to have his dirty clothes washed, switch horses and get a home cooked meal then he is off again. He is sitting at first place in the ranch saddle bronc riding at a local rodeo. He rode ole " Mustang Sally" to a 79 point ride last night...Keep your fingers crossed that nobody makes a 80 point ride this evening..cause if they don't he will have a nice chunk of change for 8 seconds out of his life. We were discussing the event before he burned out this morning, he was telling me and his Daddy all about it and I asked the name of the horse he rode, and he replied, " Mustang Sally" and I said, " Oh a girl huh". Which he and his dad gave me the " look", you know the one. The oh silly women one. I was informed that many many bucking horses are mares. I asked why..shouldn't have because I had to hear how all female creatures had the same mean hateful attitude and were mostly just plain ornery. I will remember that when he wants his clothes washed and a pan of hot biscuits in front of him.
We have water problems. This is not good. It could be a disaster. Really. A major well went down that waters about 500 head of cattle more or less....and our house. DH is on call, of course he is always on call. He is waiting to see if lots of cattle will have to be moved. So far the well men have it back pumping, but it is iffy. So we wait. I swear I have literally spent all my life concerned about water, and cattle. When I was a kid our well pumped off every summer. My poor Grandmother would plant a garden every year only to harvest a little before the well went and nothing could be used except the bare necessities because it all had to go to water cattle. Got married thought I was beyond those days and I have spent much of 25 years of marriage with the same problem. Dh came in yesterday and told me to shut off everything the cattle were running out of water. Good grief. And you know the thing about it all is this....those hussy cows are not even grateful for all the water sacrifices we make for them! They don't give a hoot or a holler that I may have to have a sponge bath, or that I can't water my flowers. No, all they care about is themselves. You would think they could at least give you a grateful look every now and again, just a low moo to say...thank you dear human friend for your sacrifice. But no. They just don't care. And......I am on a rant now. I get so blessed tired of people saying that ranchers and farmers are ruining the environment and are mean hateful people that don't care about it or the poor animals that they raise. People I have to tell you......ITS ALL ABOUT THE ANIMALS AND THE ENVIRONMENT!!!!!! I have been water deprived all my life! Why! Because the cows come FIRST! OK ~ Deep Breathing~ Calm, calming, calming more....
Now that I have that off my chest, I really have to go. I must wash dishes while there is still water to wash them with...because...COWS COME FIRST!
God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife....who is hoping and praying that water keeps coming down the line.
12 comments:
Oh yeah I SO know about water problems! Praying you get this sucker resolved soon... We had a well go out one summer, it took 3 months to get a new one drilled. Not to mention a hunk of $$!!
You too with the snakes?? Sheesh! TrapperDude didn't climb a tower, but he jabbed at one with my garden loppers under our bridge till he really peeved it and then he shot it...at least he was dressed.
By the way, did you know that all of yer fartin'cows are causing global warming? TrapperDude says he is going to make a flatuence catcher for my goats so we are a "green" ranch.
Seriously...really...we'll "premier" it on Al Gore's TV channel, CurrentTV...
Yups, global warming..that's why I am sitting here in a sweatshirt and jeans.
What about dogs? Ours farts all the time..how come no one wants to pick on him?
Ooops, didn't mean to give anyone ideas...
Well . . . Exactly how much are you worth in pound cake? That thing is hideous and I am so thankful that my neck of the woods is really pretty poisionous reptile free. At least to my knowledge. Now about everything else . . . I climbed a windmill once . . . got about 25 feet, looked down and thought I was gonna puke! That DH is CRAZY! Did he spot the fire?
I'm sorry friend, we have an abundance of green and an abundance of water. However, I am longing for some of that lasagna and strawberry shortcake!
Blessings~
P.
Dear Ranchwife, I do pray that the water keeps flowing to your house. I have also known the dreaded water rationing yet this year I'm blessed to be pumping reservoir water onto my yard/gardens, and it looks like there's plenty for now.
Folks just don't understand that without The Environment, we ranchers couldn't exist. Go ahead and rant and I'll join you with my interjections!
Oh...that snake! I'm glad you got her. I don't like rattlesnakes. I can just see you firing your gun in slippers and bathrobe.
Jody
OH - you have GOT to post of that rodeo riding girl!!! I have GOT to see me some of that!!!! and I love reading your site!!!
You need a vacation! Come to the lush, green desert of northern Nevada! All inclusive!!!
You made my day!! Glad someone else is on snake, fire watch and water duty today. We need to have a cup and a chocolate bar some morning soon!!
And folks think we have nothing to do around here! LOL! Never a dull moment, is there? DD just informed me that your DS came out 2nd at the rodeo - congrats to him! That oughta put a grin on ya'lls faces! He oughta buy ya'll a good dinner in town!
And yeah, I hear ya about those cows. Darn ungreatful critters!
Sorry to hear about your water woes - hope it won't be long before your back in business. Holler if you need to borrow a shower!
Does DH climb that tower with leather soled boots? Those dudes are so slick which is great in a stirrup but I'm not sure I'd trust them on tower rungs!
Well the water is officially on..... but having a very hard time catching up...due to triple digit temperatures. But at least it is running. Thank the Lord.
Dmama..I have heard that sad state of affairs about the evil cows that are in part responsible for global warming. Ha the remark about the goats is a hoot.
Broken Y...I don't do heights either...just standing on a ladder and looking down does me in.
Gumbo Lilly, I am sure glad the neighbor didn't decide to drive by...that would have been a tad embarrassing.
Hedi...glad you like the site, thanks for the visit. Didn't get any pictures of the rodeo....I wasn't there, just heard about it all second hand.
SS ended up with 2 place, It was a friend that beat him by one point. He said it was OK he would rather be beat by a friend than an enemy. Ha..he came home with some prize money so it is all good.
Countrygirl I would love to come for a vacation...do you have room for 500 hd of cattle as well. You know its all about them.
Cotton picker.....DS and D son-law killed another one in the yard last evening.....this is getting ridiculous.
Karin...thanks for the offer...thankfully all in well for a while anyway.
LAT....yes I do believe that he was in boots....and spurs. I told yall he was a goober.
Have a great day all
~M~
Thank you! Loved hearing about your life. My Dad would just grab the hoe and chop the rattlers to death. He always said to watch out for the second one and that they usually come in pairs. ha. Glad your water is back on. Darn those silly cows. It really IS always about them. I remember. Blessings. Amy
Hi Amy, so glad you stopped by and enjoy my blog. I often wonder who reads this thing......it amazes me that anyone does. Ha Ha
~M~
Post a Comment