Fast forward a few hours....6ish. I stumble down a second time and start preparing my new recipe of baked beans. I am getting out of the box of pinto's and walking on the wild side of homemade baked beans. My beans have soaked all night. I am adding the ingredients, mixing, pouring, heating the slow-cooker...adding the final touch 1/2 cup of molasses...........hum.....that's a lot of molasses....I read the recipe....oh my! It called to 2 tablespoons of molasses..not 1/2 a cup!!! Well what can I say? They are cooking as is right this very moment. Drats! I will give them a taste test before the fellas get here and if they are so sweet my teeth just fall right out of my head, I have canned Ranch Style beans as a backup plan. Drats again!
They are pregging, ( preg. checking) Cows over here today, so I have a crew to feed. Better get to it. I will let yall know how the beans turn out. Later alligators.
God Bless and HAppy Trails
Ranchwife
EDITED UPDATE!
The Chickens will enjoy a nice supper of under baked sweet baked beans...washed down with cool well water.
I cooked those suckers for 6 hours! Yes 6 hours and they are still hard as rocks. I am thinking I purchased a very old bag of navy beans. I soaked them overnight, baked them forever and it was all for naught. I ended up opening 4 cans of Ranch Style that thankfully I bought on sale last week. Whew. Oh well, so much for trying a new dish. I will stick with my trusty pinto's from here on out.
I did have time to go out and snap a few pictures...forgive the not so great sharpness of the pictures. The dust is so very bad that it makes everything sorta blurry looking. Does Photo shop take out dust????

Sad story....loading the truck..these gals are not bred....some or just barely bred,yes they are little bit pregnant...but it is so dry that they can't wait the 9 months it takes them to calve so off to town they go. The non bred ones will go for slaughter, the little bit pregnant ones will go to the sale. Its all about the feed bill folks.

Loaded and ready to roll..one of two loads. Not good to have that many unproductive bovines. The dry weather really upsets their reproduction.

That "O" drawn in chalk does not mean...outstanding, ornate, or ohmygosh that is a wonderful cow. It stands for "0pen" meaning....not bred. I had this funny thought, or maybe strange thought depends on if you have as strange a humor as I have. Isn't it wonderful that we as women don't have to go the baby doctor...be run down a long hallway, checked by a doctor while a bunch of cowboys stand around ready to hotshot the heck out of us if you don't move fast enough..only to have to doctor holler.... " Shes Open boys." And then draw an " O " on us so big the space shuttle can see it. OK maybe I am the only one that has that warped of a mind......

I don't wanna be an O...I don't wanna be an O!!!!

Shhhhhhhh just stand right there Red...maybe the mean cowboys won't see me....drat these horns!

What all aspiring photographing, ranch cooks wear out to wander around the cattle taking pictures. A very red flapping apron. I don't recommend this attire....Really. Apparently this gal didn't like it one bit....I took her picture after she quit looking at me and blowing snot in my direction. When I heard DS holler...." Mama watch her!" I found a fence...how embarrassing....~blushing~.

She is the striped one in the back...trying to act all nonchalant...hateful hussy.

Ready for hungry cowboys.

Aftermath of hungry Cowboys.
And now dear reader's I bid yall adios....I am thinking that joining DS at our Cowboy country club is a capitol idea being as it is 105 degrees!



God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife
8 comments:
Maybe add some more of the other seasonings and more water to the beans to even the flavors out and then just pour off some of that liquid before serving?
When I was first married I wanted to impress hubby by making pumpkin pies from scratch.
I had NO cooking/baking/homemaking lessons EVER, just a Betty Crocker cookbook....I am positive till this day that the recipe didn't say to use sugar in the pumpkin pie mixture....darn sure of it.
Needless to say, four pies in the freeze went in the trash.
And to this day I have NEVER lived it down :P
Darned ol' baked beans - they're just about as ornery as those ol' cows! As for me, thankfully they're not sending me on a truck, but I sure am glad I'm an 'O'. I think they keep me around because I feed them. Your Country Club looks mighty inviting!
I enjoyed reading about your preg testing day. Love the pics and especially the Cowboy Country Club Pool! 105 is might HOT!
Jody
Sounds like old beans for sure...good thing yo had back ups!
It sounds like you have the weather we usually have this time of year..today it was 80...rather cool for us, normal is about 90+. That pool sure does look inviting though....
we may have to come enjoy the cowboy country club....it's hot!
I AM OPEN!!!!!!!!Thankyou Lord!!
Wearing a big "O" proudly - however, some days, the craziness gets inside me and I think . . . no, never mind!
My first attempt at gravy consisted of one cup of flour and one cup of milk. Could have layed bricks with that stuff!
The bean thing was too funny... I am glad I am not the only way that makes good chicken feed....LOL.... And by the way I agree with you about the big "O"....
Post a Comment