Tuesday, February 8, 2011

After the Storm..



I was standing at my kitchen window the other morning and I looked out and saw these fellas enjoying the morning sun. It has been a rough week for them. Pappy has kept them fed and watered and the gate open to go up into the shed under the barn, but I think they are as glad as we were to see that sun break through all the gloom and doom.

Watching them doze got me to pondering on the things of life. I was thinking about storms..not the physical storms so much as the spiritual storms that we all have in our lives. I don't know but a handful of you that read this blog personally. But I know this, if you are breathing air you will have some kind of "storm" in your life eventually.

I have to confess sometimes I don't handle these storms very well. I get mad. I whine. I throw fits. I question. I ask why. How does that work for me? Answer: Not very well. All it does is make me more miserable. Not to mention those around me. :)
Usually when I calm down and gather myself up...after the Lord has reminded me that He is bigger then any storm. I am ashamed. Ashamed of the fits, the doubts, the why's, the questions. And it isn't that God has His thumb on me grinding condemnation into my being. The Lord does not work like that. It is that His grace is so amazing that I wonder how can I ever doubt His goodness, His kindness, His faithfulness, His provision, His protection. How can I doubt when I have seen it, experienced it time and time again? What a faithless woman am I.

We are human.We get tired and weary. We get sick and discouraged. We face death of loved ones...and of ourselves eventually. We see the starving, the homeless, the violence. The ugly black sin of this fallen world and sometime it overwhelms. And we wonder...Where is the safe harbor?

It is in Jesus.

Jesus tells us to do this...
" Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matt. 11-28,29,30 NASB

I looked at those horses and the thought came to me..that is the way we need to be. Yes we have storms. Sometimes they are hard to get through. And sometimes we don't think we will make it. But if we will let Him He will provide all the strengh we need to get through. And He will provide the rest at the end.

Rest in Him and abide in Him today.

God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife

9 comments:

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

I completely know what you mean. I have a tendency to react to life's "storms" the same way...and yes, I'm miserable, as well as those around me, usually our loved ones. I too am Ashamed. Thanks for sharing this verse...it will be a comfort for me. He is our rest..Praise the Lord.
One of my favorite verses that I must repeat on a daily/hourly and sometimes on the minute.....
Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.
Psalm 141:3

Blessings to you my friend, I hope to meet you in person someday. :)

cottonpicker said...

I think I've been in a huricane! But there is always peace in the Lord!

JencyJo said...

I love your blog! I'm glad I stubbled across it! I love reading about other ranch wives!

Jency

Gumbo Lily said...

Nice post. We've been in a lot of physical storms (winter) and let me tell you, it does take a toll on the spirit too. Thanks for pointing to the Answer.

Jody

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Thanks for always sharing the pearls of wisdom that our Lord places in your heart. Its comforting to be reminded of His abiding presence when the storm waters churn.

John North said...

Yet another good post RanchWife. Thanks!
Your reference to Matthew is a dandy and one that believers can profit from.
Do you know the tune 'Turn your eyes upon Jesus'? There's good truth in those lines. We trust God for salvation through Christ, we can trust him in all of our daily living.
Now that I finally figured out how to set up an account with a password I will comment again. I have been a reader for a long time.

BridgeEtta said...

I always love your perspective on the Lord. He is good, and good to us. I don't know about you but on the other end of a storm I always feel a little stronger. One thing I think I'm ashamed of is not being grateful enough for the help He gives me.

John North said...

I've been a reader for some time, and enjoy your blog. Haven't commented till now, though I THOUGHT that I'd properly signed in last week. I guess since I haven't seen my comment published, I goofed again. Maybe this time it'll make it to your end. Hope so anyway.
The Matthew reference is a good one- I use it regularly. And we should come to him for rest. After all we depend upon him for salvation, we can depend on him too for our daily living.
I am thinking of the tune ' Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus' Do you know that one? Good truth therein.
Looking forward to your next post and hope this comment goes through.

Ranch wife said...

Welcome, Jency and Joey and John. Thank you for stopping by.

John, yes that is a wonderful scripture, and I love that song. I am sorry I was lax in posting your comments. Sometimes the blog gets neglected due to life.

Blessings

~M~