I think this last week has possibly been the longest of my life. Does that sound dramatic? Well let me tell ya I feel dramatic.
The weather...what can I say. It has been cold. Bitterly cold. DH has been fighting icy water tubs all week. Only to have the water freeze in the ground going into the tubs. Things got better yesterday to some extent. And the sun was shining.
Thursday...the day of the plane departure of DD#2. We trudged to Lubbock. We got to the airport. We had our minds right to see DD#2 off on her journey. Her flight had been canceled.
Canceled.
Who would have thought that Houston Texas would be shut due to an ice storm? Not me. I didn't even know it could get that cold in Houston.
Guess you learn something everyday.
Saturday....back to Lubbock. A three hour drive one way. DH can't come with me due to frozen water and needy cows. Remember the previous post? DD#2 , Youngest and I set out at 5am for Texas. We arrive, we check in. We rearrange luggage. We re-weigh luggage. I pay $50.00 extra because DD#2 is checking 2 bags. I am shocked that it would cost that much. Highway robbery...or airport robbery in this case.
The rest is just to sad to tell. We said our goodbye's. Don't want to revisit that.
Youngest and I leave and I sit in the parking lot and gather myself up, talk to Cottonpicker on the phone..she just happened to call to wish us a safe journey and was surprised that we had already journeyed.
I called DH and we sniffled together over the phone. Then Youngest and I hit the bookstore, grabbed a burger, stopped and bought some Tylenol, got a Starbucks to wash it down and headed home.
RanchGirl and company came over and we had Birthday supper....yes I turned another year older and 20 percent more gray I am sure just yesterday.
Passed out in bed about 10 and then the phone rings at 2 am. After suffering what I am sure was a small heart attack the phone was answered and DD#2 was on the other end....the other end being in an airport in Germany.
Bless her heart she has had a long trip. Her flight has been delayed and she will be in Budapest later then she thought. She should be in the air now.
So what does a mother do? She gets up and tries to add more minutes to DD#2's prepaid UK based phone card..trying to make sure she has enough minutes to call home when she arrives in Budapest and the College should the need arise. Then she checks her email. She tries to skpye DD#2 because she knows that she has been on line due to the fact she she updated her blog...and I confess.....I snooped on her facebook.I am a mother and it is now 4:33 am. I have been up since 2. I gave birth to this child...don't judge me.
I am tired. I feel like I have made every step of this journey with her..and in a way I guess I have. I have prayed continuously for her and for this trip. And God is good...all the time.
God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife
3 comments:
Goodness! Hopefully you're taking a day to recoup! Heavan knows you've earned it! Isn't it funny that we never stop worrying about them? It certainly was easier when they were 2 though. I wondered whether that was why you were up so early. When I woke up at 2, I thought about Sara (and you) and just sent more prayers. I figure that's what I need to do when the good Lord wakes me up in the middle of the night. Days like that just wring you out. Prayers for a restful Sunday and Happy Birthday again!
I wished you happy birthday on your last post but it won't show up! Any way - whew! Sorry about your week! It'll get better - God is good! Any way - Happy Happy Happy (late) Birthday!!!!!
Happy Birthday, February girl.
You're a good mom. I know how it is, parting with our kids, it's a tough one. Aren't we glad that they are daughters of our Heavenly Father too, and he's mindful of them and their needs (and us and ours).
We have to burry all our water lines at least 6 feet under the ground to keep them from freezing. There is also heat tape for us trailer types that electrically heats pipes so they don't freeze. And all our waterers are heated in the winter. I wonder if anything like that would help your menfolk out?
Post a Comment