Saturday, January 30, 2010

Time for a Recipe

Yes it is time. Time for a recipe. Not a very exciting one I admit, but it just happens to be the only one I have taken a picture of. Why I took a picture of it I will never know. I just caught my DD gone to work and I was playing with her mighty camera and lens. I confess S. I touched your baby. Forgive me. I am your mother who spent countless hours in labor with you and gave up my Christmas day to bring you into the world...

Here it is...are you ready? Can you hardly wait? Are you taste buds doing the Happy Dance?

Fried Cabbage.

Yes that is what I said..don't judge me.

Here is a picture of the luscious cabbage goodness. Oh I know you are saying, 'is she insane? How can cabbage and luscious be in the same sentence?' Oh ye of little faith...



There tis. Cooking slowly in my cast iron skillet. I think this needs to be cooked in a cast iron skillet. If you don't have a cast iron skillet..then shame on you. Stop right now, whatever you are doing, it does not matter, this is life or death, and go get one. Go to the store! Go to the internet! Just GO!

After you have acquired your skillet and seasoned it just so, and threatened anyone within the neighboring 4 counties to never NEVER use soap on above said skillet, then you are ready to proceed.

In a cast iron skillet dribble a tad of olive oil.
Cut up an onion in smallish type pieces.
Saute the onion till nearly done, transparent.
Now add some garlic if you like, or don't if you don't like.
Take a head of cabbage and chop. Size depends on you. I like mine pretty small.
Add to the skillet...this will cook down, but use a fairly large skillet. Not a little puny one.

Stir the cabbage and onions around till well mixed then turn down the heat and cook very slowly.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yummy!
I love making cabbage like this!!
I think it's about the only way (that I've ever heard of) to eat the stuff. But boy howdy, it sure is lerping good that way!! :)

Joshua said...

I have to say, it is good every once in a while. And yes, I have threatened my mother with washing the cast iron skillets I use. She is a teflon fan. She uses soap on cast iron. We contend at times.

Joshua