Here it is...are you ready? Can you hardly wait? Are you taste buds doing the Happy Dance?
Fried Cabbage.
Yes that is what I said..don't judge me.
Here is a picture of the luscious cabbage goodness. Oh I know you are saying, 'is she insane? How can cabbage and luscious be in the same sentence?' Oh ye of little faith...
There tis. Cooking slowly in my cast iron skillet. I think this needs to be cooked in a cast iron skillet. If you don't have a cast iron skillet..then shame on you. Stop right now, whatever you are doing, it does not matter, this is life or death, and go get one. Go to the store! Go to the internet! Just GO!
After you have acquired your skillet and seasoned it just so, and threatened anyone within the neighboring 4 counties to never NEVER use soap on above said skillet, then you are ready to proceed.
In a cast iron skillet dribble a tad of olive oil.
Cut up an onion in smallish type pieces.
Saute the onion till nearly done, transparent.
Now add some garlic if you like, or don't if you don't like.
Take a head of cabbage and chop. Size depends on you. I like mine pretty small.
Add to the skillet...this will cook down, but use a fairly large skillet. Not a little puny one.
Stir the cabbage and onions around till well mixed then turn down the heat and cook very slowly.
The slow cooking is the key. You need to stir it around every so often, and you can put a lid on it if you like.
Near the end of the cooking the cabbage will be all cooked down and I like to have a little brown pieces here and there. Now you salt and pepper to taste and add the final secret ingredient...only it won't be a secret anymore because I am sharing this with the world.....
Balsamic Vinegar. That's the secret.
Sprinkle a little around the skillet, a little goes a long way. And cook for a few minutes on high, stirring all the while. This goes into a kind of caramelization process, is that a word? Anyway there is the secret for the success of my fried cabbage.
I fix this a lot when I feed the crew which is what I was doing when I took this picture. I have fixed these wonderful salads, only to have them not touch them. They call salad 'fodder'. Yes 'fodder'. I know it is weird. But they are somewhat weird. I never met a cowboy that wasn't weird in some way or another. Not only do they call it 'fodder' but there is a little ditty that goes with it..Ok here it is.." Let the rabbit eat the fodder and then eat the rabbit." Get it? Loosely translated it is "cowboy" for..I ain't gona eat lettuce, just give me hunk of meat.
They love this dish. It warms the cockles of my heart to hear them tell each other, "you better get some of that cabbage, its good stuff." Compliments are rare from this breed of man so that makes it even more special.
Hope you enjoy this and remember cabbage has a bad rep. for some reason....give it a chance, you won't be sorry.
God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife......I have a Tadpole at my house today, we are about to go and eat ice cream!
11 comments:
That sounds downright delicious!
I'm with LeAnna...Sounds delish and I can't wait to try and I have a couple of friends that will Love it as well!
Thanks for sharing a recipe!
Other than the Balsmic vinegar I do ours the very same way, I'll try adding the vinegar next time I make it for us, thanks. Another good dish cooked much the same way is fried corn. Cut corn fresh from the cob, scappping the corn milk from the cob into a bowl. In a cast iron pan fry 1/2 lb bacon, remove bacon, leaving the bacon grease, add chopped onions, cook slowly to release the onion's oil, add corn and cornmilk, cook slowly then increase heat, stirring to prevent burning. Add bacon( broken into small pieces) back into pan and stir. Serve with cornbread and a salad.
Hi Kelle thanks for stopping by. The recipe for the corn sounds wonderful, can't wait to try it.
~M~
I'm curious. Do yo cook on electric? Or gas?
I'm stuck with electric but would so love to have gas. Its what I grew up cooking on and I think you can control the heat so much better. Oh well! Just be thankful I have something to cook and something to cook it on, right?
Hi, Little Apple,
I use propane. I hate an electric stove. I agree about the heat. I like the way you can adjust. But we do have to be thankful for what we have, beats the heck out of a campfire!
~M~
Howdy stranger! I finally came out from under my rock. This sounds really good. I'm always looking for something different. It's on my menu for next week!
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhaaaaappppppppyyyy
BBBBBirthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
You're my kinda cooky, Ranchwife! We love fried cabbage at our ranch too, and I've found a nifty recipe (Rachael Ray)called Jumbo Reuben Loaf which contains our beloved fried cabbage. My family always asks for it. Here's the link. I leave out the cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/jumbo-reuben-loaf-recipe/index.html
Jody
P.S.
I also leave off the chili sauce/pickle relish and serve the sandwich with thousand island dressing or whatever anybody wants.
Jody
LOVE fried cabbage....you are a girl after my own heart! :)
Post a Comment