Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Consumed with guilt!!!!

Oh woe is me. I am comsumed with guilt.Yes guilt. What are you guilty about you may ask? I have deep dark, non-recpie sharing guilt!
I don't think I have ever shared a recpie. Oh yes, I did share the sourdough biscuit recpie...hum..but alas I still don't feel absolved from guilt.

Even my own DH is against me on this. One day I was sharing with him about a recipe that K. had posted on her blog. Of course he was rivited to be having this conversation. Anyway he asked me.." Do you ever share your recipes?" Silence, I look at him, tears filling my eyes. In a trembling voice I say, "no I don't." Oh the dark hole of quilt!

That put me into a kind of heart searching mode. Why do I not share recipies? Well to be honest. I hate typing them out. And to be even more honest, this is the real reason. Keep in mind that I am baring my heart before all of you....I really don't like to cook!!!! Oh my word! That looks worse in print then I thought it would. I am temped to backspace it out! But no! I must proceed with this startling revelation, in hopes that it might just help one of you out there that are suffering with this secret sin! Just know that you are not alone. And that you can email me privatly if you need to confess. Together we will overcome!

Now I don't hate cooking. But I don't wake up in the morning excited about it either. I mean as I am coming to my senses early of a morning. I don't think," wow I just can't wait to get up, I get to cook today." Nope never happens. I do at times think this," Wow I get to get up this morning, go outside, and plant those beautiful flowers." Now that is something to get excited about. But cooking....nah.

I think one thing that does not excite me about cooking..is I have 3 kids at home that are picky eaters. Now Dh is not, he has always been easy to feed. And Jen. never was. But the other 3..sometimes I want to wring their skinny little necks. I cook something new and different. They turn up their noses. Makes me want to scream! Of course if they could live on cookies and brownies they would be happy.

And I feel like I have cooked forever. I learned to cook at a very young age. It was out of necessity. My dear mother is a wonderful cook...when she cooks. And that is not often. We lived next door to my grandmother, who also was a wonderful cook, and she cooked a lot, but we couldn't eat every meal with her. So being the oldest I had to learn how to prepare a meal. I do want to clarify something. My mother was just not sitting around doing nothing. She was in nursing school...for many years. Just wanted to make that clear in case she ever reads this gets mad and takes away my inhertance of all her wonderful kitchen gadgets that are just like new ;0.

Anyway those are my excuses. Yes they are excuses I know, but they are my excuses.

Getting back to my guilt riddled post. What has set off this explosion? Well as I was having my coffee this morning I was blog hopping. Blog hopping, isn't that funny? I hopped my way over to Countrygirls blog. Now Countrygirl is like me. She is a wonderful cook ~grinning~. And she can make an awesome pie! I wonder if she remembers all the bake sales we used to put on in Gruver TX.? But she does not like the confinment of 4 walls either. But it seems she has gone over to the other side. The dark side of recipe posting! Yes there before my eyes was a muffin recpie. A pecan muffin recpie, that quite frankly made my mouth water, and made me want to attack the sack of pecans that another dear friend went to the trouble to pick up in gale force winds for little ole me. Anyway there it was..Pecan Muffins. And yes I plan on trying them, just as soon as I can get the nuts shelled and chopped!

Having said all that I am going to break down and post a recipe. I can't fight it anymore. I am a broken shell of a woman, sobbing and throwing ashes on my head.

Fruit Enchilidas

I just want to say on the get go that these are not in any shape form or fasion healthy. I have toyed with the idea of making them in someway healthy..but I just don't think it is possible.
But they are easy, and they make a lot, and they are really good...if you don't think about what you are consuming.

2 cans of pie filling of your choice
20 flour tortillas..I seem to never use that many, I think it is a suggestion.
1 cup butter, the real deal
1 1/2 cup water
2 cups of sugar...I am cringing

Boil water, sugar and butter together to make a syrup.

Take your pie filling and place it in the center of your tortillas, and roll up like a buritto.
Place in a greased 9x13 pan. seam down.

Pour syrup over the the tortillas and let soak for 2 hours, or overnight.

Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes... and if there is not enough sugar to send you into a coma already.... cover with a topping of 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 tbl. of cinnamon, and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts.

Continue baking for an additional 12 min.

These freeze well. I have never tried it. Go a head and do the 2 hr. soak, then cover well and freeze in the container to be baked in.

There you have it a recipe post from me.

Enjoy!

God Bless and Happy Trails
Ranch Wife...who is off to cook dinner...and it is a beautiful day...outside. :( :(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally! It's about time you shared a recipe. And now I can finally try these fruit enchiladas that EVERYBODY has had except for me.Gracias`

Countrygirl said...

I happen to be home today because of fever and chills but I break away from my sick bed to see my fellow bloggers - and I see my beautiful,(wonderful chef)friend's yummy looking recipe. DH thinks he may tackle it, he's a wonderful cook.

Yes, I remember the bake food sales; but more than that I remember the great fellowship we had. I still think (even though we didn't know it), God was preparing us to go our separate ways into the world. We really had a wonderful group there.

Thanks for the memories and the recipe!

LeAnna said...

Mmm, those sound good! Don't worry, I too hate typing out recipes. I also don't do well at following them for the most part. I think I'd much rather list ingredients and have everyone figure out how to use them....
However, I'm determined to learn sourdough! I just don't know why it won't cooperate, but I'll get it sooner or later...
Have a good evening and enjoy your beautiful weather!
-LeAnna