Thursday, March 27, 2008

Stealing an idea...kind of

Part of what makes blogging fun for me is the interaction of the people. I love reading the blogs I read,and I get a hoot out of the comments that I get on my blog...cause quite frankly, I never thought anybody would read it. :)

Anyway, Jen, the other Jen, not my daughter Jen..that is so confusing to have to Jens, one of you should change your name to.....hum...how about Gertie? Bet I don't have a taker on that! Getting back to my point. Jen H. issued a challenge on her blog for this week, and some of the younger gals have taken it. I thought it was a neat idea by the way...but alas I am old and lazy. But with that thought in mind, it made me have a thought...I do it occasionally~grin~.

Here is my thought. This isn't a hard thing, or it shouldn't be. Everyone post one thought on a "Simple" thing that you love, cherish, appreciate in your life. The reason I am issuing this is..I have had this on my mind. We live in a world that does not appreciate simplicity. We "cherish" things that I am not so sure we should "Cherish". It may be material possessions. It may be education, it may be wrong relationships, or wrong ambitions. Get my drift. Non of those things in themselves are bad. But if they are taken the place of the true simple gifts that the Lord gives us, then they become an almost idol, or maybe they do become an idol in our lives.

Of course the greatest gift that He has given us is Himself. Nothing can compare with that, nothing. What I am talking about is finding joy in everyday life. Seeing what is around you and finding joy in it. A simple thing. I just don't think that we appreciate all that the Lord does for us, enough. We focus more on what we think He doesn't do, or what we think He should do, then what He does.

So give it a think and say a prayer for open eyes and let me know.
Hope this makes sense.

Gob Bless and Happy Trails
Ranch Wife

I will start......but there are so many "simple" things that I enjoy!

1. I love just looking at our New Mexico Sunsets, they are an awesome painting in the sky with God as the artist.

2. Flowers, the way they look, they way they smell, everything about them.

3. The smell of a warm summer day.

4. Rocking a sleeping baby.

5. The sound of Dh's spurs ringing as he walks up to the house, they have a distinctive ring.

6. The quietness in church during prayer time.

7. Sitting on the porch in the evening just listening to the birds going to sleep, an occasional moo from the corral, a horse blowing his nose, and just feeling a general sense of peace as night falls.

I could go on and on...that is the idea..to think, and be thankful for the "simple" things of life.

3 comments:

LeAnna said...

Hey M :) Thank you so, so, so much for your words of encouragement. That meant more and made more sense to me than you could imagine. I too agree that we have gotten away from the simplicity of Christ. I think the most truly genuine things are often simple things. The best friends are the friends who can be real with you, down to earth, they can laugh and cry in the same breath. Same goes with Christ, He longs for a real relationship with us. Not one that only refers to him in 3rd person. Just real, honest intimacy. :)

I was walking through wal-mart and ran into one of Brandon's friends who is a newly single dad. His little girl was in the cart munching on goldfish crackers. She is just over a year old, doesn't know me from anyone else, but I gave her a goofy grin and she wrinkled up her nose and grinned right back. I enjoyed that. Young kids are usually the only ones who will offer a goofy wrinkled up face grin back. It's simple. :)
Blessings to you today!
LeAnna

Anglican Mama said...

Love the idea, and I think I will not only try to add it as a post requirement of mine, but a daily one. :-)
Today, I saw my pitiful litle flowerbed that I'd basically neglected last fall. So I got down on my hands and knees to pull away the weeds and dead grass, and lo and behold, there were nests of lady bugs, rollie-pollies and earthworms. I was never so happy to see bugs in my life! I remember simply praising God in that solitude...for the dirt in my fingers, the plants breaking soil, the bugs trumpeting spring...they made me happy in their simplicity.

I loved your thoughts on just Him. I just posted a quote from Elisabeth Elliot that said the same thing you just said--it's been such an encouragement on those same lines. We tend to focus on what He can give us, what He can do for us, or what He isn't doing for us; instead of finding the thankfulness for just Himself.

I needed to be reminded of this. He's good at that, isn't He?

Bekah Leanne said...

Hi, I stumbled on to your blog through Jen Hill (she's my cousin), and just wanted to let you know that I think I'll use your idea in my next post. I really enjoyed reading what you had to say! :)
In Christ,
Rebekah