DH just commented that there was smoke in the air. He and I went and looked in every direction, but couldn't see a thing. But we definitely smell it.
What a weekend. Friday dawned beautiful, blue sky, light breeze, warmish. DH looked at me with puppy dog eyes and "invited" me to make the morning feed run with him. So I did. We drove and we called. We drove and called some more. The cattle just didn't want to come. They knew the wind storm was on its way, and they had taken their babies and found a low spot to wait out the storm. DH finally decided if they were bedded down somewhere he would just let well enough alone. When you have a pasture that is 50 sections, and cattle that don't want to be found..well sometimes they win.
About 12:00 as we sat down to eat, it hit. You could honestly feel the house shudder. It kept it up all day. We fought it all the way to Roswell for Cowboy Church. Noticing as we drove by a dairy that the hay barn had just burst into flames. I think I read in the paper that they lost 450 big bales.
Had a great CC service. And Saturday I was so blessed to attend the most incredible women's retreat I have ever been to. It was so awesome. The teaching, the music, the fellowship. It was a much needed stop at the spiritual waterhole. Plus I came home to a wonderful supper prepared for me by my one and only DH. T-Bone steak and all the fixn's.
Today we over slept and barely made it to church, but we got there. The wind blew all day long....again.
My sister and her husband have a place leased in Texas down in King county. They live out around Midland. But have a partner on this place. He called them Saturday and said the world was on fire down there. Some woman drove her car hot, until it caught on fire. Pulled off on the side of the road, it caught the grass on fire, jumped HWY 82 and that's all she wrote. I think 1900 acers so far. My sis said they think it burned through their lease this morning. They had gathered all but ten head and put them on a large wheat field. They are praying they did OK. Some much county, has burned. A couple of ranches lost alot of grassland, nobody has a tally on the livestock yet.
Then I called her later today. She answered breathlessly, saying they were moving cattle, the ranch they live on was on fire. She thought, unless the wind changed they were going to get everything out of the way. I haven't heard back from her and am praying they get it done, and nobody gets hurt.
It was so eerie this evening about 6. The wind just quit blowing. I went out on the porch and the sky looked so weird, of course a lot of dirt was in the air. But it just had a strange color. The birds, nothing was making noise. No cattle mooing, nothing. Kind of creepy. Gave me a cold chill. Now it has come back up and you can smell smoke.
This all just makes me wonder......I just have such a feeling of...can't describe it really. Kind of a waiting feeling. It feels almost like all of creation is holding its breath..waiting.
I do know this..our King is drawing nigh. I pray we are ready for His return. We need to make sure our lamps are full. And that all is well with our soul.
Have a great evening,
God Bless and Happy Trails,
Ranch Wife
2 comments:
I'm sorry to hear about all of that! We had a lot of wild-fires a while back, and it is quite an eerie feeling. We'll be praying for your Texas family. Would love to hear more about your women's retreat! I wish we had something good to go to here...
Be blessed this week,
LeAnna
This was a creepy post. :)
Post a Comment