Wednesday, April 23, 2008

You know it's spring when you look out your kitchen window and see this.....


This is a sure sign of spring here on the Track. These are my DH's gals. He has been playing midwife for several weeks. It is time for them to move to greener pastures, ha if only the 'greener' were true. Before they move them the cowboys will brand their babies, and the ladies will get a trip to the bovine beauty shop to be de-loused.

We got'um gathered now what?



This is what. the calves are stripped off of their mama's and out in a separate corral. That is my DH, he is going into the herd horseback. He will rope a calf, by the heels and then drag him to the fire where this will happen.



And this...



These fellas are what are called "flankers", they are the young'uns. The roper drags the calve to the fire, the flankers grab the rope and trip them, then down they go. Next this happens. Those fellas happen to be kin to me. The young man in the red is my favorite son-in-law, and the chuckle headed kid in the blue is my 18 year old son. They make a good team. Believe it or not this is a team work kinda deal. And there is a certain finesse to this that must be learned. Nobody wants to flank calves with a dude. It just wears them out.



Grab the rope and down he goes. Now stretch him out boys!


Next the crew moves in. The calf is vaccinated, ear marked, branded, and if it's little bull calf, he won't be in about a minute. When he gets up he will be a steer. Each man has a job. One gives the shots, one does the branding, and one man 'runs the knife' that is cowboy for the man that does the castration. Just a little hint..for those young fellas out there that ever contemplate romancing a cowboys daughter...they have knives, and they know how to use them. Just a little food for thought. Anyway..back to the branding.

Just so you know, these pictures came out a little blurry. DD took them and she did a great job. We don't know what happened but the camera just didn't want to cooperate.



This is my youngest. He is 9. Right now he is just watching for the moment but in a minute he will be.....



doing this



Big brother shows him how it's done...



Then he tries it for himself...


Seasoned Hands....





The new west...





My boy's........

DH getting ready to rope.







Dad coming to the fire..







DS "running the knife"





DS sporting a red/white and blue pair of Blackwell boots..His daddy made them, my DH.





The girls getting their spa treatment.



I hope you enjoyed the pictures of what a typical branding day is. I actually got to watch for once. Usually I am stuck in the kitchen cooking for the crew. But they only had 45 head to brand and they were out of here by 9:30 or so.

God Bless and Happy Trails
Ranch Wife

21 comments:

Pat - Arkansas said...

Great action photos. Thanks for sharing. I got to experience the excitement of this activity when I was about 14 years old, visiting a family friend's ranch in Colorado. I sat on the top rail of the corral fence and watched it all. The cowboys later grilled the "mountain oysters" over the branding fire, and had great fun teasing me about eating one. I can't remember that I did; at that age I was somewhat privately concerned it might alter my hormone structure!
P.S. Love those boots!

Ranch wife said...

Oh that is funny, altered hormones! My fellas save them till they have a big mess of them. They clean them and I cook them. I guess it would be like a catfish fry, but only using calf fries.
DS likes the loudest colors he can get. The last ones he had were bright yellow with red stitching and green trip. Those were something. My s-i-l has a pair as well. His are purple tops. It is a common disscussion around our house as to what color combo the next pair will be. Much thought has to be put into such an important decision. :)
God Bless
RW

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...I need those pictures. John sure does look good in red. :)

cottonpicker said...

Our calves are late. We will probably start branding when it get's to be about 100* or more. Maybe my hormone structure needs altering!

Ranch wife said...

Yes daughter, he looks very nice in red. You can have all the pictures you want.

Cottonpicker, the rest of them will be late too. Buck thinks they may be branding till up in June. And it will be very hot. Yuck. Don't guess the wind is blowing over your way? Thought we were gona miss it, but all at once here it came.

~M~

Ranch Wife said...

Great shots, but I think I'll skip the spa treatments!

Altered hormone structure ~ LOL! I'll have to remember that one!

Countrygirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Countrygirl said...

Love the pictures! Makes me miss ya'll even more than usual! Who's that punchy lookin' fella in the red boots? And is that man in the WHITE shirt the boss man? Bobby Don or something like that? (I'm ducking) Ha! So.....you didn't tell what you fixed for all them hard working folks. I know you work hard on these days too.

Ds has been going over the mountain to Pine Valley to brand - he loves dinner time. Two Mexican ladies lay out a feast, and he takes 2nds and 3rds. Comes home tired but very full!

Ranch wife said...

Countrygirl...I am gona tell him you called him, 'Bobby Don" oh my, that will get his goat. If he starts spinning his horse this way and that every five feet, then I will began to worry. Ha. Boss...ya right, just a lowly "camper".
I actually didn't have to feed. They swooped in and swooped out. There was only 45 head to work.
Have a great day
M

Anglican Mama said...

Yay, it was like watching it in person all over again...only everyone in different places. I was rootin' for a particular three...can you tell I'm a littlepartial? :p You got yourself some strappin' men, M.

Can't wait to make my way back out there...praying praying praying for a soon possiblity. :(

Paula said...

Calf fries are ranked up there with rattlesnake soup! Aint no way!

BUT - You have a good looking crew!

I went "Cowboy Crazy" when I was about 10 and my hormones have been altered every since!

Ranch wife said...

Oh Paula, they taste just like chicken. ~grinning~
Ranch Wife

Amen to altered hormones, DH altered mine 24 years ago...:) :) :) ;)

LeAnna said...

Looks like fun, fun, fun! I can't let Brandon see this post, he'll covet the boots. All of them. And of course it's my wifely duty to keep my husband from stumblin'- Taken completely out of context, of course.
I've been trying to get my DH to alter my hormones, but it ain't working yet. (grin) You make me howl with howlish inner laughter.
-LeAnna

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Great pics! I love watching your youngest get in there...he's so darn cute! As big as the Big Boys right?(smile) I have to admit...all that hard work you posted pics of makes me appreciate our squeeze chute while we're doctorin' and brandin'!!!! Have a great weekend! It's turned cold here again in Kansas. YUK!
L

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

p.s.
I think I was born Cowboy Crazy? Is that possible???!!! haha

Paula said...

Yeah - So does pig liver and cow tongue!

hahahahahahahahaha :D

Paula said...

Uhh Hmmm! You think because you post 15 some odd pictures that you don't have to post for several days?????? Remember the reminder of the responsibility we have to our readers!!! hehehehehehe!

Anonymous said...

Your slackin' Mother.

Ranch wife said...

Paula, I knew that remark was gona come back to haunt me. Ha Ha
Jen I know I am slacking..
I have been puny today, maybe I will be more inspired tomorrow.
M

Paula said...

Since you feel like cow poo, we'll give you a few more days off!

Anonymous said...

I cracked up on your comment about ranch gals having knives and knowing how to use them. At the neighbors branding last Saturday his three girls all ran the knife at some point; One of the girl's prom date was there, one of the girl's boyfriend was there, plus a couple other teen guys. Needless to say there was much teasing and joking!