Monday, May 19, 2008

Busy as a long tail cat in a room full of rockers....

Howdy do too all you fellow blogging buddies. Hope everyones Monday started with a bang. A good bang that is. This will most likely be the only post I get done this week. I am swamped with outside chores! And it is supposed to be 99 by Wednesday. Oh woe is me. I hope I actually don't have to sweat. I hate sweat especailly on myself. Yuck.

Anyway here is what is going on. I am gardening. Yep that's right. DH and I sinned and stayed home from church yesterday to garden. I went out to the garden this morning and half expected to see nothing but blackened smoldering tomato plants, due to staying home and working all day on the Sabath. But the Lord was merciful and they looked pretty good. I don't guess it was exactly " an Ox was in the ditch," kinda deal. But Dh has to work cattle for the next several weeks, I have a daughter , who's name is Jen, that is wanting to move next weekend, Lord willing. And I have a graduation party for DS to plan, and a graduation to attend in Texas on the 30th. Whew, just writting that made me tired..and sweaty. So Sunday was the only day that he could help me.It puts me out that I need help. But girls I just can't get things done as easy as I used to be able to. And running that tiller just about puts me in the grave. If not near death, I walk hunched over for about a day and a half. So I needed DH's manly strength and fortitude.

We decided last year we were going to downsize the garden. But guess what? It didn't happen, matter of fact we upgraded. Why? I have no idea, we just got carried away in the moment. So far we have 30 tomato plants, 3 rows of various kinds of pepper's. A row of squash, and about 7ish watermelon plants. It is doubtful that they make. We never have good luck with them. But Nathan thinks it is his lot in life to plant watermelons and pumpkins. Actually his pumpkin's did well last year, and he even placed in the fair with them.

Anyway with the price of groceries I think I will be a good thing. Provided the Lord keeps sending rain, and the rats don't show up again. Last year we had the great rat invasion of 07. It was awful. We were trapping them, positioning them, and shooting them and they still won the war. But thankfully they must have died out over the winter, or moved on to better hunting grounds, cause we haven't seen any at all this year.

This morning I mowed by grass for the first time this year. Yeah! I actually don't mind mowing grass. I like the smell. I cleaned out 1 flower bed, and planted some sunflowers. Still have the back yard to go. I am also re-landscaping my pond area. It needs a overhaul and I haven't decided just want to do with it yet, but I do have some ideas.

So that is what my week will consist of...gardening and more gardening. So with that I will bid you all adios for the week. Unless I just get overcome with inspiration and I just have to come in and blog.

God Bless and Happy Trails
Ranch Wife, who has dirt under her fingernails, and a farmer tan!

6 comments:

Paula said...

We've hit 90 today in Kansas! I feel like I'm in NM - and YUCK I've been sweating and it is gross!

I have to say, my garden is looking good! I need it to sustain my family - you are correct! Groceries are outrageous! I have potatos, green beans, peas, tomatos, raddishes, zuchini, cucumbers, cantalope, beets, turnips, and corn! Uggg! Putting that into words has made me ask . . . "what have I done!" So with that ... many blessings coming from your fellow dirty-nailed gardener!

Ranch Wife said...

From 68 to 98 in one day?! This is just not acceptable! Seems as if we'll all be out working the the yards and gardens at 5 in the morning. I went for a walk this morning at 6:45 and got hot! If this is a sign of things to come, I am not looking forward to this summer!

What can I do to help with DS's celebration?

cottonpicker said...

Well......I planted my two, yes 2 tomato plants today. Ho Hum.....
Went to dirtscrapers casa to do scrapbooking stuff, ate buttermilk pie, and now I'm just reading all you girls interesting blogs....I am not sweating thankyou very much; maybe I'll sweat tomorrow - I'll have to see what's on my agenda.

LeAnna said...

Ugh, it was hot here today, too! Supposed to be in the upper 90's this week and we have no a/c. Praise Jesus. :) I've been thinking about filling up my whirly tub with cool water and getting in with my bathing suit. But that would give the false assumption that I have entirely too much time on my hands....
Ya'll have fun with the graduation stuff! I love a good par-tay.

Countrygirl said...

Hey there woman - don't work so hard! What are the plans for the graduate? It will all come together, take a breath. Praying for the trip to Texas, and that God gives you exactly what the one there needs to hear.

We too hit 90 yesterday, and Saturday. It's great, but it's way too early for here. We are supposed to cool down Wed thru the weekend.

My yard is in desparate need of some TLC, my garden too. The raspberries are a'bloomin' though so the blackberries won't be far behind.


But when you cross over the Jordan and dwell in the land which the LORD your God is giving you to inherit, and He gives you rest from all your enemies round about, so that you dwell in safety, Deut 12-10

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Sounds like we're all in the same boat....busy and sweaty and dirty. It's all good. Have a good week and graduation party. What a proud moment for you and your husband. I thought I was the only one with the long tailed cat saying....here in Kansas my friends call those...Leslie-isms!!! Ha ha
Have a good week.