Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Red or Green? Cowboy Luncheon

Yep that is the question of the day. Well what does that mean? Is it secret code or is it the state question? Well if you live in NM you all know that it is the state question. I never knew that there were state questions. I knew there were state birds, state flowers, state songs, but state questions? Never knew that till we backed our bags and moved out here. I personally think that NM just wanted to be noticed, and they made this state question thing up just for them. And they are kinda snide about it if I may say so. We hadn't lived out here a week and we went to dine in a restaurant in Roswell where we were asked this question. By the bewildered looks on our faces the waitress knew that we were of the foreign sort..and made up feel..well less than smart as she explained very loudly about chili. Chili to us Texans was...well chili. You know a meat and chili powder, various spices with a tomato base designed to burn the lips right off you head. That was chili. Ah not so in NM. When you are asked red or green, that means do you want green chili sauce, made from a pepper, poured all over you enchilada, or burritos. Or do you want red chili sauce made from the same type of pepper, but made after the pepper has turned red has been dried. You can get this wonderful substance from so mild that granny could eat it, too so hot it will make you sweat and see visions. My DH and Son-in-law adore the sweating vision inducing kind. I on the other hand like food that I can taste, and I hate to sweat. But I digress.

The original reason for my post is..I don't really have a reason. I had to cook for the crew today, thus all the food oriented thoughts. I have to say that I was quite miffed about it too. My quilting guild was having their end of the year luncheon and I missed it. All because I had to stay home and feed a bunch of men that didn't give a hoot about my end of the year luncheon. And made fun of the word, "luncheon". Which I have to admit is a weird word. But am I bitter..heck no! Sure wouldn't want anyone to think I was bitter about missing my END OF THE YEAR QUILTING GUILD LUNCHEON! Did you catch 'end of the year'? Oh well sometimes being a ranch wife is a cross that I must bear, even if it means missing my END of the year quilting guild luncheon. HUMP!

On a brighter note. My kids got me a new camera for Mother's day! How Sweet. We had a nice day. Church, then home. Jen and John came about 4 and she and Sara cooked supper and DH grilled some pretty darn tasty rib eyes. And Betty the trusty milk cow even donated some milk for the first freezer of homemade ice cream. I ate about 4 bowls and then wondered why I suddenly had that bloated yuck feeling. But it was worth it. Nothing better then homemade ice cream.

In honor of my new camera I will post some pictures. And because I have done nothing exciting, other then cook they will be pictures of...cooking, boring...not if you are hungry!

Red or Green?

Enchiladas that is.

The lowly friole.


And if the chili isn't hot enough than have some homemade salsa and if that isn't doing it for you have a jalapeƱo.


Ok I try to keep them healthy...but salad is just not their thing. I have the whole bowl left. :)


Double chocolate brownies..say yum!


Happily eating away!


As I was scurrying around in my kitchen this morning. I had a poetic moment. I am no poet, and I don't really know why I have these moments. But these things just hit me sometimes, and I just have to write them down..so now ya'll are going to have to endure my masterpiece of poetic prose.

The Ranch Cook

She gets some real amusement,
At the cooking shows on TV.
The mix, they stir ingredients,
That to her are as foreign as can be.

They do some highfaluting cooking,
And at times it looks quite good.
But to put that on my table during the branding,
Well, it would just be misunderstood.

Somehow I don't think the cowboys,
Would be impressed, as I am sure they should.
With what these gal's cook up,
Out there in Hollywood.

A Penni pasta salad,
My word to serve just that!
And top it off with a bottle of foreign water!
I think they would just as soon eat the cat!

And low cal, no cal, fat free?
How can you work on that?
When you work from sun to sun,
There's not much chance of getting fat.

I feel sorry for these gals,
Way off in Holly land.
Bless their hearts, they don't have a clue,
On how to feed a man.

A man needs beefsteak and gravy,
Hot biscuits and spuds on the side.
Pinto beans, seasoned just so,
And a slice of hot apple pie.

A pot of coffee so strong,
It grows hair on the chest of the meek.
And lots of iced tea in a tall glass,
With a tad of sugar, should they like to tweak.

No, Penni pasta won't do it,
Nor will a salad, or mango tarts.
Nope, those poor gals don't have a clue,
How to feed a man that works off the back of a horse.

God Bless and Happy Trails
Ranch Wife

14 comments:

Countrygirl said...

Luncheon Queen, did you recite your poetry for the fella's at dinner?

Great poem! Sorry you had to miss your quilting.

Ranch wife said...

No I did not. They just do not have the culture to appreciate it. It would be like throwing your pearls before swine. :) :) Just kidding I don't think of them as swine, well the thought did cross my mind as I was cleaning up.....
Oh well Lord willing I will live to see another quilters guild lucheon. These are the scrafices that I must make.
Plan on quilting tomorrow. I just know It will rain. We have like a 40% chance. And I am confident that it will be a wet cloudy day, just right for quilting.
~M~

Pat - Arkansas said...

Your children did well, RW, and you take good photos with your new camera. Lady, that food looks real fine! I'm quite fond of both "red" and "green." Comes from growing up in Albuquerque and being exposed to spicy foods, I guess. Never outgrew the craving for the taste of it.
I'm hoping you get some rain.

LeAnna said...

Ahhhh, this was hilarious!!! Thanks for the smile today :)
-LeAnna

Paula said...

Mild, Mild, Mild - I don't care what color it is! My nose runs, my eyes water, my forehead sweats just looking at the hot stuff!

Dad-gum them Cowboys! Do they know how important ANY luncheon is that you don't have to cook for?

Your spurt of inspiration was quite good!

Anonymous said...

I think I shall print off that poem and hang in my kitchen, in honor of you. How about that?

Anonymous said...

By the way, who is that dark haired dude at the end of the table? I can't figure out who that is!

Ranch Wife said...

It all looks so good! Just send those leftovers my way ~ the men around my table will even finish up that salad for you!

Love your poem! You need to recite that in June at the salute to the ranch wife. Jean could write the music for it!

Lyndsey said...

Green please!

I was blog hopping...and happened upon your blog. The more I read, the more I laughed! It was very refreshing to read a blog that I could actually RELATE to...unlike the abunant talk on politics, sports and whatnot.

After I read your poem I decided to ask if I could share it with my friends on allcountrygirl.wordpress.com who would enjoy it for its real meaning! I understand if you want to copywrite it and make a fortune...LOL.

God bless your day as you serve those hardworking cowboys! Goodness knows there are fewer of them by the year!

*allcountrygirl.wordpress.com*

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Not only a wonderful cook, but a poet! I'm so impressed. We're a Spicy kind of family here. My husband likes to sweat while he eats too!ha ha I'm so sorry you missed the END OF THE YEAR luncheon. That's a bummer. I am praying that ya'll are receiving your much needed rain.
I'm so blessed to have found new friends! Have a good week.
Les

Ranch wife said...

Thanks for the comments.
Pat chili is an addiction. I get tired of Mexican food, and then I crave it. Green chili makes everything better!

Paula..I like mine med. I like a little spice and alot of flavor. And no they don't understand how much you enjoy food that you don't have to cook yourself!

Jen, print away! I want to see it hanging in a place of honor in your kitchen.

Karin...what leftovers? Except for the salad of course. :) recite..don't you have to get up in front of people? I think not!

Lynz... Hopped over to your blog, and enjoyed it very much. Will be praying for your trip to Asia. My daughter, she has a blog as well, but the name escapes me just now. She is going to Hungary in June and will be gone for 6 weeks. You are very brave gals! You are welcome to share the poem. But if it gets published just remember where it came from. Ha Ha

Les, thanks for the prayers. We did actually get almost an inch yesterday, and we have a 60% chance today. That is the best we have had in months..and it is cloudy and cool, even that is a blessing.

I have been thinking about you Kansas gals, and Pat in Arkansas. Yall watch out for those tornado's! I feel so sorry for all those people that have lost so much due to the storms.

This has been so much fun getting to know new people, even if it is over the web. A lot of people critize the internet, and it can be a tool of the devil for sure. But it can open the door to Godly fellowship as well. So thanks for the comments, and the fellowship.

Have a great day!
~M~

Ranch wife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anglican Mama said...

Oh my goodness, you've got me salivating in a very unladylike manner. :-) Mmm...yes, green for me pleeease! I get that from my Texas roots (haha southern Texas roots), cause there isn't hardly a So. Illinoisian that will have anything hotter than not. :-) But a jalapeno goes good with just about anything but cold cereal!

I loved the poem--it was awesome! I wish I had them while I'm cooking, but alas, they come in the middle of the night to arise to write...or forget to sleep. :-)

Anonymous said...

My goodness, we are slacking a bit aren't we?