Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday..................A Typical Day

What is it about Monday's? Mondays are the day of dread, or so it seems. I guess it is just because after a day of rest you dread getting back into the rat race of life. Well......there isn't a thing that can be done about that so my advice is to hitch up your undies and get on with the day. Don't be a whiner.

So my Mondays are usually the same year in and year out. I spend much of the day cleaning up the mess that we make on Sunday. Sunday is my day off. The Sabbath is set aside for us to rest by our loving Father and I intend to take full advantage of it. And so today that has been what I have been doing here at the ole ranch. Catching up.

I have decided to post some pictures. I don't do that all that often....why? Because I am paranoid about putting pictures on the web? Because I hate taking pictures? Because I don't have a camera? No to all of the above. I just hate doing it. I have fits every time I try. Blogger hates me, and I hate it. We feel the same way about one another. And.....I don't have all day waiting for them to download....upload....whatever it is that they have to do. Makes me tired just thinking about it. Kinda like typing out recipes....you all know how I feel about that.....thus I will never do a cooking blog....or I don't think I would...you just never know....could happen.....but most likely won't. Hum......." Cooking with Ranchwife," it does have a ring to it.......First installment.....201 ways to cook hamburger meat....How to make your man eat chicken...and like it. I can see it now....oh where was I ...Oh pictures!

This is one of the things that I did today.....



I guess I should have made a better presentation of these....but I was in a hurry. Just didn't have time to make a photo shoot of bread.

Now I discovered at the last minute that I was out of tortilla chips...a sacrilege in this hacienda. So what do you do if this disaster happens? You deep fry corn tortillas torn into the shape of a tortilla chip.....These are much better then a cold stale chip out of the bag anyway.....ignore the large amount of salt....and the grease....I never said they were healthy. :)





After dinner, lunch to you that do lunch...DH told me that he had a bull in the pen and he needed DS and I to go and help him load the wayward beast. Now a few years ago....many years ago I would have been out the door in a heartbeat. That would have been in my ' I wanna be a cowboy girl' days. I have outgrown that line of thought. No trail to far, no mountain to steep, no bull to wild, that would have been my thoughts of long ago. Now the only thing I thought was UGGGGG. The wind is blowing, that means dirt, that means a massive sneezing event....I declined the offer of a horse. I will just drive, or stand in the hole, or do the shooing hand waving thing. And that is only if the bull isn't mean. I made it very clear to DH many years ago that I do not ride for the brand. My name isn't on the check and I will not risk life and limb to wild snotty nosed bovines. I will help, I will do what I can do, but when they run at me I will run away. We have an understanding. Now I feel the need to clear something up. I am a ranchwife. A cowboys wife. I can do a lot of things. I can ride, I can work cattle, I have helped pull calves, given shots, de-horned, cut up my own beef and cooked it....but......but I am quite content to watch the gate at this stage in my life. I have not been horseback in a year. Now that isn't to say that I don't enjoy riding. I love to ride. I love to help DH move slow moving cattle. Where you just get to walk or trot pleasurably behind, humming Home on the Range. My days of ripping and roaring are past. And I am OK with that. I never was much of a rip roarer anyway.

DH and DS went and loaded up their horses. I jumped in and off we went. DH assured me that he was just little gentle baby bull, and he would give no problems. Sure enough we get over there,and he wants to come up to you and give you a sniff. I didn't appreciate his overtures and quickly ran to the other side of the trailer, DH laughed at me. He laughed at me, and then proceeded to try and walk up to him and give him a pet. We got the trailer in place and DH and DS mounted were mounting up when the little fella gets curious about what is going on, walks around behind the trailer to watch DH and then all at once he just hops up in it. DH jumps in and shuts the middle gate and there you have it.


El Toro the Terrible!



Ready to rumble!



I was lamenting the fact that there I didn't get to get even one action shot during this whole, 'lets go load the wild bull' outing. DH said well I could ride him, and I dared him and well....here he is.....



Show off, at least it wasn't a camel. And yes he did. We were at a friends house before Christmas. She puts on a live Nativity, she had imported a live camel from down the road. I was in the house talking to M. When DS came in I asked where was his daddy, and he said, " Just sitting on M's camel." So nonchalant. BY the time I got out here he had dismounted. I asked him why, and his reply was, " its not everyday you get a chance to sit on a camel." Well.....can't argue with that.



Here's looking at you!



Mouse was insulted that he would have to ride home with his nose in the hiney of a bull. He is somewhat of a snoot.



A boy and his horse



Learning to drive....wanna ride with him? I dare you!



Random rusty barb wire fence

Well that is about it. A typical day at my house.

God Bless and Happy Trails

RanchWife

7 comments:

cottonpicker said...

Well, I would say you've had quite a monday!! If I could only reach through the screen for one of those loaves of bread.....oh my they do look good!! After today's feeding adventure, I will be taking my camera and preparing for my next blog.....should be entertaining...and you will recognize all that is happening....hmmmmm

Joshua said...

Bread!

I wanna ride a camel :(

Joshua

little apple tally said...

Must be a pretty good photo of bread - cause I can smell it! Oh my, does it smell good!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fun day!

Joy said...

I am glad to hear someone has the same feeling about Mondays as me. I dread them, but what can you do?? They are coming either way.... I love the pictures. Nathan is a hoot for sure. I love the pic of the bread. I feel silly, I just put some in the bread maker a little while ago. Although I usually do it all by hand.. I seriously think you should do some recipes. Everything I have ever eaten that you have made puts my cooking to shame... I love reading your blog. It is just what I need.. Talk to you soon...

Anonymous said...

Oooo...bread...I LOVE bread!! I love to eat it and I love to bake it.
That must be what is still stuck to my hips....isn't budging even with all the exercise!
A camel...an't say we had the opportunity! I wouldn't have passed it up either.
And yes, Mondays do have a way of making up for that lone day off.

Paula said...

Good grief a mercy - my bread doesn't look ANYTHING like that!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I love the new layout! I was having withdrawls!