Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Incommunicado......and such things as that.

We have been incommunicado the last several days. We have no house phone...dead as a doornail. The internet has been off and on...more off then on...and the cell phones are acting very very weird. An example of this is...I received a call the other day the area code was 614 or something like that one I had never heard of....it was my oldest dear son. Our area code is 575. Then I got one and it was all 9's....like 999 999 9999 how weird is that. I am just glad it wasn't 666 666 6666 now that one might have made me run for the hills. Strange goings on for sure.

And....we are supposed to hit 85 today and tomorrow. This weather is very bizarre even for this part of the world. I am so proud for all of you that are getting rain....would you please share? The dust has ceased to be dust...it is now powder. It goes everywhere, up your nose, down your throat all over everything. I just try and hit the high spots. If it ever rains then I will take down all the curtains and such and give them a good wash. Until then it would be a waste of water.

Hum......nothing much going on. I want to get my seeds started for the garden....I am praying the good Lord will see the effort and bless with rain...other wise don't know how much of a garden we will be having. It always amazes me...you can keep it alive with a water hose. And it will produce...but what a difference a good soaking rain makes. And with the economic crisis and all I am feeling that we all better have a tomato plant in every pot we can get one it. Speaking of the economic crisis I am curious are any of you taking measures.....ex. Planning a garden, stocking up on basic's things like that. Here has what I have been doing....

#1 Prayer....I ask the Lord every time I go and buy groceries to show me what I need to purchase. I want to use our money wisely and not waste it.
#2 My new goats should kid in June so fresh goat milk. And the cow should calve in late spring...more milk and we will buy a few calves to put on her along. She has raised as many as 4 calves in a year. Not at one time, we usually have her calf and one more on her at a time. She is pretty docile about this for a bit but she does get an attitude after a few months. I guess I would as well.
#3 planning a big garden. We don't have the room or the water to grow corn. But we do grow some amazing green chili's...they are high in vit. c you know.
#4 my chickens are on a laying binge. We have eggs coming out our ears.
#5. I have been stocking up on things like flour, I do have quite a bit of wheat, I grind my own for flour. But I buy 25 pounds of white flour about once a month to have on hand. Sugar, Beans, Rice, Coffee, gotta have the coffee. Tea and canned goods that I find on sale. I have discovered that I need to stock up on T. paper. Now I do not think it is possible to have to much, it is just finding the place to put it. Canned and powdered milk is handy to have around as well. I could go on about groceries but I don't want to bore you to tears.
#6 Since we live in the country and are used to losing power ever so often we have oil lamps, flashlights etc handy at all times.
#7 DH has a new chainsaw. We heat with wood so we always have a supply of it on hand.
#8 I am trying to get some meds stocked up. We have very little prescription's but I am trying to have a month or two set aside. And OTC things like Tylenol, cold meds etc.
#9 Basic cleaning things for house and for personal use. I learned to make soap a few years ago and have put up several cans of lye. When all the critters come into their milk I will start making goats milk soap again.
# 10 Pray some more and trust in the Lord.

I have no idea where our country is headed in the next few weeks, months, years, but I am not very optimistic. I know that the Lord is in control and we are to rest in that. We can do nothing without His help and direction. But I believe in being prudent as well. If you see the river rising you better get yourself a boat.

So like I said what are you all doing to cut corners, prepare etc. Love to hear!

God Bless and Happy Trails
RanchWife

13 comments:

Gumbo Lily said...

...out on the trail I belong...ong, drifting along with the tumbling tumble weed. (I was just finishing the chorus!)

Ranchwife, I know what you mean about the blowing dirt turning into powder. We had several years of that and I hope we don't have to endure that again. I hope you get some rain SOON!

Like you, I am planning a large garden. I used to always have a big one until the drought hit and I just couldn't water it enough (powdered dirt that doesn't soak up moisture). But I'm hopeful for this year. I've got two raised bed gardens and I hope to add another. I'd like a field garden full of potatoes too. I haven't grown spuds in awhile and I really miss them. I don't have enough water for corn either and we have farmer friends that grow THE BEST sweet corn ever, so I won't bother. But I'm looking forward to planting lots of tomatoes and peppers and carrots and.....the list goes on.

I heard a rumor that you ought to buy your garden seeds NOW since everyone's got the same idea to put in a garden this spring to save money on food. So I plan to look at Walmart today or to order from my seed catalogs ASAP.

Living in the country keeps me always stocking the cupboards like you do, so this is nothing new, but I'm thinking more consciously about it.

Jody

cottonpicker said...

Well......my brother plants the corn, Hobsons plants green chili, and no one in my family likes anything grown in a garden....so I guess I'll plant a couple of tomatoe plants and my GIANT pumpkin seeds and call it good!! The tumbling tumble weeds have already planted themselves and we should have a healthy crop!

Little House in the Desert said...

We are doing most of the same things you are doing...we are planting a garden--this is our first time so it will be more of an experiment than anything else :)
and we just got a chicken and a rooster but the chicken isn't laying any eggs...and she doesn't have any feathers on her neck--our super nice neighbor we got her from doesn't speak english so it's hard to say what is going on but he did let me pick her so maybe I picked a bad one...he told me we'd have eggs in March? Maybe she's young?
And he's also going to be selling us some goats mid-march--once the mama has nursed the kids enough we'll get her and I'm thinking a baby boy (so it will be cheaper) and then maybe they'll make more babies? I hope that's how it works :) The mama is $100 and the babies are $45 (I definitely could use any advice if you want to throw some my way!) They are an alpine-boer mix.
the only other thing is we have a 5 gallon jug full of water because when the electricity goes out our well doesn't work...I know we really need a generator or something.
This is our first home (we bought it in Sept) so this is all new to us!

Joshua said...

I am buying bullets for a gun I don't own.

You interested in selling any eggs?

Joshua

Paula said...

Can you believe how much toilet paper costs! If the price of anything has skyrocketed, it's that particular product!

I'm planning my garden, getting some chickens but haven't been in a real rush. Should probably get in gear.

Moving MIL out to the place so that has consumed my mind and time.

Blessings~
P.

Ranch wife said...

Jody...I would love to grow potatoes. We did in Texas, my grandmother had them every year and the small ones with fresh green beans are to die for. Of course the half slab of bacon that she put in them added a lot. Alas here the ground is to sorry and hard. I learned the hard way the first couple of years we were here.
I have my order made out....better get it in the mail.

Little House, thanks for stopping by. Glad to meet ya.

The chicken...I would imagine that the others were picking on her....they are horrible about picking out one hen and driving her crazy..they will kill eventually if they are not separated....also when the rooster does his business he will grab her by the neck...just thoughts on what may be wrong. Of she is a youngster she should start laying this spring. A good feed is important.
Goats......boy + girl that's how it works...can't get baby goats any other way. Is the male the son of the female? If so you may not want to breed them...close family ties and all....its a genetic thing. Sometimes you get deformities and such. You can breed close but I forget how it works. Sounds like a good price.
Water is important...and you don't realize how much you use until you haul it...it will shock and amaze you.
We don't have a generator either...wish we did....
Congrats on your new home...Yipee! How exciting.

Paula.....girlfriend I cringe every time I go into the paper goods aisle. It is just unreasonable what the prices are. Where can we protest!

Love to all
~M~

Countrygirl said...

Hey friend! I have been here planning a garden for the back yard - we will be in drought and there's no water for grass. It's going to be all raised beds - mixing flowers and veggies. My black/raspberry patch has room for corn, potatoes and onions. We are composting. Our heat is wood as well. The Morman church is very good about stocking up - they were giving classes this winter on how to do it in large quantities. I would have liked to attend as they have access to large tubs etc for flour, sugar, and the like.

We do need to be watching the skies, but yet attending to His work.
Great post!

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

Well, I am planning on a garden as well. I always plant potatoes, onions, tomatoes, squash & peppers. My mom always shopped in a "stock up" fashion so I've always done the same. I don't guess I'm doing anything special, just my usual...just watching the sales a little more closely and stocking up on staples then. Praise the Lord for my freezer full of beef. I have reminded myself that GOD is the provider and no matter what things cost, he will see us through and we will NOT perish!!!
The whole Toilet paper thing is totally out of control...and Kleenex too! I don't buy Puffs, but I will buy the Kleenex brand and it was $6.35 for 3 boxes in Dillons the other day..didn't do it..will have to see what Wally has them for. Have a good rest of the week!!!
Leslie
p.s. I forgot to tell Countrygirl...I had a dream that you two came to visit me in KS! Isn't that crazy!??? I knew it was you two Since I've seen your pics on your blogs---you are welcome any time!!!!!

Ranch wife said...

Hey Les....how fun would that be!!!! Yeah...hey Countrygirl we are going to Kansas!

Have a great day,

~M~

Cow Pies & Mud Pies said...

RW
look at my previous post for a little sneak peek at the jerky! We use hamburger as it's cheaper!!

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this post and you sound so much like my own momma (who I want to be like!). I am in the city, so container gardening it will be. And probably just a few small things. The good part is that it is just me and I can feed me very cheap. Even eating out!

But I do wish I had a garden and space in my little apartment to stockpile. We will be planting a garden at my school, but I am goign to let the kids take everything they grow home so they appreciate it more!

Anglican Mama said...

Oh my, one can just spin themselves sick in circles thinking about it. But we've done just about all you're doing too! We have a garden every year as well, and we hope to can. I haven't done it in awhile, and to be honest I really miss it. :) We have laying chickens, goats and hopefully a cow this fall. We have joked about starting a commune, just get all our family and friends on our 20 acres and strive in togetherness. ;) Unless we claim Amish, it would probably furrow brows of authority.

I had a lady talking doomsday because of the seed patent/food control threats the other day. She was trying to inform me that we will soon lose freedom to buy the genetically structured seeds, and the seeds the produce has won't reproduce. I told her that every year, our compost pile produces watermelons from deemed "unproductive" seeds. ;) The One we put our trust in holds life in His hands.

LeAnna said...

Congratulations Marmie, Mammy, Whatever You Decide to Be Called. :) :) Sugar that sweet tadpole for me!